Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Purchased a new 07 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased a new 07 400

I just purchased a new 07 400, would like to hear from those that have any year 400 on what they like or don't like about the machine. Any tricks you have learned to make the machine better.--Thanks--Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thundercat
I just purchased a new 07 400, would like to hear from those that have any year 400 on what they like or don't like about the machine. Any tricks you have learned to make the machine better.--Thanks--Mike
Well, about the only thing I can think of is the handling. Mine is an 03 and the gas tank is in a different location, however the AC's are top heavy. After playing with many settings with regards to the preloads on the springs and the air pressure in the tires I came to the final setting that seems to work pretty well with the 4 ply OEM tires.

Front tire pressure set to 8 lbs - keeps the sidewalls from rolling under while cornering.
Rear tire pressure set to 5 lbs.
Front preload on springs, set at softest possition - allows the front to plant pretty good in the turns.
Rear preload on springs, set to middle or second softest - it will allow the rear to get a little light and slide before they hook up.

The biggest problem was the tire role in the front. Sometimes in hard corners they would role under so far that I got dirt between the rim and tire bead and created a nose-dive effect and squirly, unpredictable handling.

I have since gone to 6 ply tires and put 1" spacers on all 4 wheels giving a wider wheelbase. Traversing accross sloaps and off camber turns now are very stable and not so tippy.

Your choice on machines was excellent and I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I do mine. A big smile will be on your face when you get into the rough stuff and see that the AC is more than capable as compared to other brands, where your 12 inches of clearance and 10" of wheel travel pays off big time.

Generally after a few hundred miles you will see the 400 come to life. It won't go as fast as some other machines 500, 650, 700 etc but when the going is rough and traveling is under 10 mph, they can't go any faster and you will see the 400 really shine. Believe me, sometimes too much power is not good. The 400 works fine with solo or double up riding. I have been able to get mine to 50 on dirt roads and 52 mph or asphault. For me that is fast enough for a utility vehicle.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

Mike,

I have an '06 400. I absolutely love it! I bought it late last summer right before school started up again. I haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot yet, but it's been great so far. I've got 283 miles on mine and the engine is started to wake up a lot. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of power to begin with, but it just seems to be coming alive right now. Also, the gear shifter was very tight at first. It's loosening up now and is much easier to shift. One bit of advice I have is to switch out the tires and get some good 6 ply treads. Mine rides and handles much, much better after doing that. You made a good choice. I think you're really going to be pleased.

toe

Old 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

What tires do I have on there now? What makes the 6ply better then the stock ones? Is there a certain kind of tread that works best? Thanks for your reply's.--Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

More than likely they are 4 ply of some sort.

There are many tires designed to do a variety of things, ranging from casual trail to all out mud tires. Most tires even some 6 ply come with a 1/2 inch tread depth. Some ride smooth and some don't, some work good on rocks and some don't etc....

Most of my riding is on trails with a variety of footing. Most riding I do is below 20mph and at least 50% under 10mph. I ride trails and woods and deal with most all conditions including some mud. Everyone has opinions as to the best tires, well, every tire will do something good, and not a single tire will do it all. It is a trade off and compromise. You need to decide what you want your tires to do and where you will be riding most of the time, and go from there.

If you click the camera under my picture you can see what I decided on for tires and I also have some links there for where to get some good deals. The tires I use don't work good in sand - they will dig too deep and too fast, but seem to be pretty good for most all other conditions and are inexpensive. MudGear would be good on all 4, they are very similar to Dirt Devils but with a 3/4 inch deep tread instead of 1/2 and they cost less.

It really comes down to personal choice and where you ride. If you do mostly trails and very little mud then it is pointless to put on mud tires, because you will suffer in other areas. Highlifter Outlaws MTS are a good tire but average about $70.00 each.

The tires I use are a pretty good all around tire. They are smooth riding and work well, they are 6 ply and the ones on the back MudCats have a full 1 inch tread depth, and are a flat profile. The ones on the front are Mudgear and have 3/4 inch tread depth and have a crown profile and agressive side lugs for getting up our of ruts. I stayed with a 25 inch tire because I have the power with my 400 to turn them and with bigger tires I may not have been able to get the full potential. Also I could not see spending an aditional $100 for 1/2 more ground clearance, by going to a taller tire. I have a full 12 inches of ground clearance with the 25 inch tires. Plus I am not trading off some handling by being even more top heavy. Some other brands of 4wheelers have to go to 27 and even 28 inch tires just to get close to the 12 inches of clearance. Then they have to have bigger engines just to turn them over.

I researched tires for over a year and this is what works for me. But may not be for anyone else.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

What makes 6 ply better than 4 ply - well for one they will carry heavier loads. And the normal air pressure for them is 7 lbs as apposed to 5 lbs.

The side walls are stiffer and you get less roll when turning, and being 6 ply they are more durable and less suseptable to punctures etc.

The down side is that they give a harder ride unless you let some air out. It is almost like putting 10 ply tires on a 1/2 ton pickup.