Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What's the deal with some people saying ACs aren't fast?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with some people saying ACs aren't fast?????

I don't get it...I have heard it mentioned, more than a few times, that ACs aren't very fast? When I purchased my 2004 500 4x4, After the break in period, I got it out on a rock road and got it up to 72mph before I let off. (I got a little scared haha.) It was still gaining speed and I was on a flat road, not going down hill. Anyway, I have never got mine up to even over 60 since then (no reason for me to). Anyway, I was just wondering if the newer ACs are slower since they stopped using the Suz. engines. Why would people say an ATV that will go 70+ is slow? I guess I just don't understand.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

It's all part of Einstein's theory, so it's all relative.

Going down a road doing 70 may seem slow, fallin off while doing 20 may seem fast.

Unless you're actually racing someone, speed won't matter. Since you stay below 60 now, it just means you're enjoying the ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I think some feel that the weight of the AC's make it slow by comparison to some other makes and models. Heck my 400 will only do 52 on a good day, and a tail wind helps. If I want to go faster then I will get into my car. I got my ATV for utility and woods travel not Daytona. 90% of my riding is under 20 with about 1/2 of that under 10mph. It is the same thing as some people want to take a 4x4 pickup, pop a 454cid in it and think they have a corvette. Doesn' make sence to me. But then again I may be logical - lol. I really don't understand why anyone would want a 700 or 800 utility unless they are doing heavy work that required the extra power. As far as trail riding and stuff like that a 400 or 500 are very well suited for the task. I learned a long time ago that alot of times too much power is worst than not enough. But I am just a dummy, however you can learn alot from a dummy.....

Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ArkArcher
When I purchased my 2004 500 4x4, After the break in period, I got it out on a rock road and got it up to 72mph before I let off. (I got a little scared haha.) It was still gaining speed and I was on a flat road, not going down hill.
Do you seriously expect a forum full of AC owners to believe you have a magic 500 that goes 10+mph faster than the rest of them? Both my buddy and I own 650's that top out at 65, and we RUN(not walk) away from 500's in a straight race.

Sorry, but get real.

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
It's all part of Einstein's theory, so it's all relative.

Going down a road doing 70 may seem slow, fallin off while doing 20 may seem fast.

Unless you're actually racing someone, speed won't matter. Since you stay below 60 now, it just means you're enjoying the ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Relative perspective and the theory of relativity are vastly different.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Like Scootergptx said - it is all relative. The only one that is really impressed or cares is the one that is doing to bragging.

Instead of bragging how fast these things can go and how bad a machine is, maybe we should brag about who has the biggest smile and enjoyed the ride the most. Isn't it all about having fun. I don't care if someone has a bad machine or can do 70 or 80 mph, or for that matter can walk across water or leap tall buildings in a single bound. When I go out, I enjoy the ride, expecially if we can have a few laughs about it, or have some memory that we can take with us.

But I will tell you that last summer I caught a 15 foot book trout from a brook that I could jump across - lol..... Top that lie if you can... hehehe

Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

sure it wasnt 72 km/h instead of mph? 72 km/h is ABOUT equivalent to 42-46 mph which sounds more realistic. after all you said just after break-in.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudslinginfool
sure it wasnt 72 kph instead of mph?
That sounds more realistic.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking the same thing, glad you said it tho'

Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well im not tryin to put anyone down here but like chumley said... Every one in this entire forum that has 500,400,300's only go about 50mph (give and take) ,but a magical 500? even the 650's wont hardly hit 70mph. i almost forgot. they still use suzuki motors in there 500 and 400. the 650H1 is AC. the 650 v-twin is kawasaki, and the 700 is suzuki also.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ArkArcher
I don't get it...I have heard it mentioned, more than a few times, that ACs aren't very fast? When I purchased my 2004 500 4x4, After the break in period, I got it out on a rock road and got it up to 72mph before I let off. (I got a little scared haha.) It was still gaining speed and I was on a flat road, not going down hill. Anyway, I have never got mine up to even over 60 since then (no reason for me to). Anyway, I was just wondering if the newer ACs are slower since they stopped using the Suz. engines. Why would people say an ATV that will go 70+ is slow? I guess I just don't understand.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>

I will also raise the BS flag on this one. I have hit 72 mph, on gps, with a back wind. You will not

Quick Reply: What's the deal with some people saying ACs aren't fast?????