Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Back again considering DVX 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back again considering DVX 400

Duster, you make a really good point- 400ex from ds250= huge upgrade..... (my friends have driven my ds250 and a 300ex and they say the 300 would just murder it in every situation except for ease of use) but, eventually i would want more power- and suspension and width, but mostly suspension and width

When you first get a quad- you think, "WOW, SO MUCH POWER AND THE SUSPENSION IS NICE AND BOUNCY, AND SEEMS TO ABSORB QUITE A BIT" but after a while- you start to think- "I WISH I HAD MORE POWER SO I COULD HIT THAT 60 FOOTER TABLETOP" So you get a pipe, filter, and rev box and hit the 60 footer. It feels great when you are in the air, but then you land and BAM, the suspension couldnt take it and leaves the rest of the shock up to you- you/your head flies forward/down, and you either smoke the handlebars or go over them. -- you go to the hospital and when you go you you are wishing "I WISH I HAD GOTTEN BETTER SUSPENSION INSTEAD OF THOSE EXPENSIVE DUAL EXHAUSTS AND REV BOX"

If a 300ex had the same dimensions and supension [travel] as an lt-r450 or ds650(but with the 300ex price tag), i would go for that as soon as i could, suspension and handling/tippyness/safety is more important to me than power (but usually suspension already comes with power- oh well- and 03 preds are supposedly really hard to wheelie compared to yfz or rap660r (which is good, because it is better/safer to learn to wheelie after you master riding with a manual tranny, than if you have to learn how to ride with manual tranny and clutch AND keeping the front end down

Old 04-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

no frame issues with the DVX. There was problems with the 03 z400/kfx with the frame cracking at the shock mounts. This would only happen if you were hittin lots of big jumps. I've seen lots of 03's with no pressure cracks, but it has happened quite a bit with the big MXer's. If i had a 03 i'd get a gusset kit and better suspension anyways so it wouldnt matter.

the problem was corrected in the 04 models.(when the DVX came out)

i was just looking at the specs for the DS250. OMG 429lbs!?!? on a 250cc engine? christ thats heavy

If i was you I wouldnt do ANY mods to that....not worth it at all in my eyes. Just upgrade and buy something with bigger displacement

Old 04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

sorry for hijacking the thread- but i didnt start it- scootergptx did =p

yes my quad is heavy- but if i never ride a 450 or even a 400-i will remain in this ignorant state and i will not really see what is wrong with modding a 250- =) thats not really that bad is it? like being satisfied with sugar if you have never tasted of chocolate

speaking of upgrading... im working on it =D

Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

crazy1291, you could likely find a 06 predator left over pretty easily. I've seen a guy on another site that bought an 06 predator troy lee edition(only pred i'd consider) for very cheap. It was almost a steal...I guess polaris is just getting rid of them because they are selling the outlaw 500 and 525.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crazy1291
Duster, you make a really good point- 400ex from ds250= huge upgrade..... (my friends have driven my ds250 and a 300ex and they say the 300 would just murder it in every situation except for ease of use) but, eventually i would want more power- and suspension and width, but mostly suspension and width

When you first get a quad- you think, "WOW, SO MUCH POWER AND THE SUSPENSION IS NICE AND BOUNCY, AND SEEMS TO ABSORB QUITE A BIT" but after a while- you start to think- "I WISH I HAD MORE POWER SO I COULD HIT THAT 60 FOOTER TABLETOP" So you get a pipe, filter, and rev box and hit the 60 footer. It feels great when you are in the air, but then you land and BAM, the suspension couldnt take it and leaves the rest of the shock up to you- you/your head flies forward/down, and you either smoke the handlebars or go over them. -- you go to the hospital and when you go you you are wishing "I WISH I HAD GOTTEN BETTER SUSPENSION INSTEAD OF THOSE EXPENSIVE DUAL EXHAUSTS AND REV BOX"

If a 300ex had the same dimensions and supension [travel] as an lt-r450 or ds650(but with the 300ex price tag), i would go for that as soon as i could, suspension and handling/tippyness/safety is more important to me than power (but usually suspension already comes with power- oh well- and 03 preds are supposedly really hard to wheelie compared to yfz or rap660r (which is good, because it is better/safer to learn to wheelie after you master riding with a manual tranny, than if you have to learn how to ride with manual tranny and clutch AND keeping the front end down
Well, I tell ya... if you do mostly that type of riding and put in a lot of track time....

You shoulda bought my YFZ... or you should go get yourself an LTR450.

Both are/were set up prime for that kind of riding.
The LTR450 comes set up that way from the factory, and my YFZ was modded that way.

That's the type of new quad to get for that kind of riding, bought new or used.
That stuff is their niche.... what they are born to do.

Modifying the DS250 is just money wasted that could be spent trading.

Also, if you like the Predator, that is fine by me, and I know little about them....
But I don't think a 415 pound machine is going to "do it for you" either.
I think you'll end up wishing it was sub-400 lbs... like 350 or a tad more.

The specs on the Predator and Outlaw read more like another set of good trail machines that are a hair wider.
QUADS I SHOULD BE CONSIDERING.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Exactly, 450 stock and you can do that,

As far as the Outlaw, IRS concept makes sense, but too new technolgy for me. I would read this review, note the part about "...Cornering is, shall we say, "different". .." http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/....jsp?id=317845

If your on a long trail ride through bumps all the time may not care and just can get used to the cornering, but powesliding through turns is what I'm used to for quad riding, so that turned me away from the Outlaw.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Walk away for a couple a days and everyone points a finger at me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] At least it wasn't THAT finger. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The 03 did have the frame issue, but if you find one that hasn't got any problems, you can get a gusset kit fairly cheap and that will remedy the problem.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I'm back AGAIN on this topic....

But this time I have finally been on a DVX in the flesh and like it.
It is one of the final choices for me for the new quad I told myself I was buying by 5/19.

But it didn't happen... because I can't seem to make a decision.

I think the DVX is GRRRREAT!!! The seat we were talking about doesn't seem bad either. You ought to sit on a KFX450 or UM MX450R... those are hard seats... LOL.

Anyways, I haven't pulled the trigger because I can't decide between the DVX, the Outlaw IRS or the Scrambler 500HO 4x4.

The reasons are obvious.... the DVX is sweet and I would have it already if the Outlaw didn't have IRS and the Scrambler didn't have 4x4 (and auto for my wife).

I've been trying to make this decision for a week now, and still haven't made any headway on it....

Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an '04 DVX 400. I just put a big bore kit on it. Ran great before that, but wanted more power. Now I am just getting it fine tuned with a few minor issues. Other than that, the thing is unstoppable. I love the look of it and runs hard and handles great on trails.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I went to look at the specific Polaris models I was considering.

The Scrambler 500HO 4x4 had good power and the benefit of 4x4, but felt too heavy.

The Outlaw IRS I really liked and actually decided to buy, just for the benefit of trying the IRS ride and liking the ground clearance. But I was buying in fear of the handling. There was one hangup though... I went and bought the thing about 100 miles from home... and while they were prepping it for me to take home I overheard the fact they had robbed the wiring harness off it to fix another machine the week before (because they didn't have the part in stock). This in a nutshell caused me to break the deal. I was mad to say the least.

The next day I went back for the DVX400... and seeing them back-to-back I realized that the overall fit and finish was better on the DVX and was relieved. We couldn't come to terms on striking a deal though and I walked away. But this time I wasn't agry... just really sad it didn't work out.

I really felt comfortable about the DVX, but uncomfortable with the dealer that had it. I had a feeling he was lying to me to draw me in, and he was.... So as much as I liked the DVX, I had to draw the line somewhere... and that was at the point of double digit interest on a quad loan despite perfect credit. If the DVX400 had not been excluded from the 3.9% financing it would be sitting on my trailer behind the Polaris Sport 400 I bought a week later.

Quick Reply: Back again considering DVX 400