Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Back again considering DVX 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back again considering DVX 400

Yep, back again and considering all the 400cc sport quads.

I know these are essentially Z400's like the Kawi's are.

But I wanted to chat with some of the DVX owners to see why they made the choice they did, and if they were happy or unhappy with the quad.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

my buddy and i both are techs at our local cat dealer. I have a 2004 dvx 400 (orange and black) and he has a 2006 DVX green and black....... Couldnt be happier with a 400 class sport quad. Both of ours are modded slightly, Mine runs 72 (i weight 221) and my buddys is newer, but is faster than mine. sweet quads dude...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

I wanted the kawi, only because i liked green the best. But he had this DVX in the showroom floor and i got him to throw in nerf bars and hand guards so i got it instead.

Only problems i had....

-Plastics are too hard, compaired to the z400 they don't flex as much
-Seat is too narrow and is ROCK HARD, i like how the z400 seat gets fatter at the back.
-Plastics are all one piece and is a b*tch to slip over the handlebars to get off and on. (you need to take the plastics off to get at the spark plug and carb [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I hardley see any dvx's though, alot of kawis and z400 so its nice to have something a little differnet.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've never even sat on one, never seen one on the trails either, but I've always thought they looked cool.
Looking on articcat.com I think I like the looks of them better than the other plastic styles.

But I am also a Suzuki guy from a nostalgic standpoint from way back in the two-stroke QuadRacer days. So of course I do like the T seat on it and colors from the old days.

But I'm about comfort these days two, and once in a while ride two-up as well.
So the seat might be a deal breaker on the DVX.

I guess I'll have to go down to the dealer and sit on one the whole time we are yacking so I can see one way or the other on that.

So there is no mechanical or structural issues to be aware of?
Or any stress-points to look at if looking at a used one even?

Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other then the seat, the difference is minimal....

I like the T-seat too, it is nice. But I'm sure if you can get a better deal on a DVX you won't mind.....

I've also been told the handlebars are different, but I've sat on a DVX and I could not tell..... Since you can't get he Kawasaki anymore, the DVX is probably a cheaper alternative to the z400. As long as you like the plastics I'm sure you'll be happy...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ss97
Other then the seat, the difference is minimal....

I like the T-seat too, it is nice. But I'm sure if you can get a better deal on a DVX you won't mind.....

I've also been told the handlebars are different, but I've sat on a DVX and I could not tell..... Since you can't get he Kawasaki anymore, the DVX is probably a cheaper alternative to the z400. As long as you like the plastics I'm sure you'll be happy...
After riding the YFZ I felt beat up.
So comfort is one thing on the list.
If the ride quality is there I can live with a lesser seat if it doesn't leave me sore.

I am not one that is above a used quad either. So a KFX is still an option for me if I were to run across one... and frankly I would not be shocked to find a new one still sitting at some dealer either.

I like all three choices... and for different reasons.

I like the nostalgia I get looking at the Suzuki's.
I like the Kawi-green and the Tecate nostalgia there too.
And I really like the unique look of the DVX.
In pictures it looks like the better looking quad.

I like the plastics from the on-line pictures.
But I bet I would notice the 'lack-there-of' the first time the mud flys... LOL...

How's the normal maintenance on these machines, aside from the plastic issue for the DVX?
I don't want a machine I've got to worry about frequent maintenance on.
Like wondering about the valves, or when a rebuild is going to catch me by surprise, etc...

No issues with the YFZ... but with it being a 450, it was always in the back of my mind... ya know.

I'm looking for something with normal/low maintenance needs/attention.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

i've never checked my valves and my bike has around 50+ hours on it...probably close to 75

i dont know how to resize photos to put in on mypage so i have to post a link to my photopage.

my dvx

Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I went down to my Suzuki dealer today to go over the Z400 features again before seeing my Cat dealer about a DVX.

Lights off... empty floor.
I knew our economy was bad, but I hate to find out it was that bad.

I'll check my Cat dealer Monday to see if he even has a DVX.
So many people buy utilites that he may not even stock them.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a '07 DVX 400 Green/Black. This bike is AWESOME! I like it better than the Z's because of the plastic. The seat is a little hard at first but, you get used to it. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and have only ridden it twice and from that I LOVE IT!
I live in KY and I got mine out the door for $5,800. They are the same price as the Z's. Both are 5899.00 MSRP

Hope this helps...

Old 04-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I picked mine up yesterday (DVX-400) after a month of debating between z400 and 400ex, I saw these cats in front of my dealer, never seen or heard of them before and they just look cool plain and simple, I was able to make a decision based primarily on a unique look, a quick test ride and a dealer I have trusted for years with other toys and i was sold. I actually heard the plastic is super easy to replace if needed on these, I have not inspected what is involved, I think he said a few screws.

duster, did you say North Carolina? Cuz that seems to be one of the places everyone from Michigan is fleeing to, surprised to hear you say that about economy down there. I will say one thing I think it depends on the dealership and this is in Detroit area so we don't even have to get into who's got the worst economy, but yesterday one dealership with bad reputation had ZERO customers in it, oh my mistake, there was one, myself and for a good 2 hours, they made a hell of an offer but it comes down to trust. They chased me out the door with I'm sure another offer but I was laughing at them literally. I paid about $100 more at my local dealer, great service manager who has been there for 10 years has taught me allot bro-bono, and that place was packed all day. I was there for 3 hours trying to close the deal on my machine. So again, from an economically challenged area, it depends on the dealer, I don't know how some of these dealers are going to survive up here...

Quick Reply: Back again considering DVX 400