Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 400 4x4 Dies at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 400 4x4 Dies at idle

I just bought a 04 400 4x4 Automatic. It will die if you let it sit at idle. I adjusted the idle up a little , ran for a while then died, starts back up no problem, any ideas fuel ect, Iam going to clean air filter. Also where is the oil filter boss that it says to drain before you remove oil filter in the manual. Thanks

Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

welcome to the foum and well is the engine fully warmed up? you may need to take the carb off and clean it which is a good idea anyways and also you could just put a new sparkplug in it air filter and clean and set the carb just to be safe and get the best performance you can out of it.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

labdog,

Both of my 03 machines did not idle well until fully warmed up, 15-20 min of running) when they were new. Now that they have many miles on them, if I use the choke to start them they run for about 2-4min with the choke on and then it starts to sputter and I turn the choke off and they idle fine.

Both carbs have been taken apart and cleaned, and adjusted from junk in the fuel. So as to what exactly to do to cure the problem two things come to mind. First, you can adjust the idle speed up to get it to idle correctly. Downside is that if the idle is too high it shifts really hard from forward to neutral and reverse.

Second, check to make sure your choke is actually moving and not stuck half way on. I believe you still have the older style carb like my 03 and the choke is like a little plunger that moves in the carb. If it gunk built up on it, it stops moving and you may have enough stretch in your cable to make you think its moving when it is not. This may require removing the carb and cleaning it.

The oil filter boss? There is a plug bolt on the oil filter housing that you can remove to drain the oil from the filter. It just lets it dribble down the front of the motor and onto the skid plate.

Which is why I remove the skid plate and take the filter off (oil still runs down the front of the motor, but its easier to clean up) with out messing with that plug. You may also want to remove the plate that the oil drain plug screws into and clean the oil pump screen. I do this every other oil change or once a year. You must have the skid plate off to do this.

SJ

Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I set the idle up a little and it seems to run fine. I may try to drain out the gas it smells old amd may have some moisture in it.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

You may also want to put an ounce or so of fuel additive in each tank of gas. I use some stuff called Seafoam, but I know people who use mystery oil, heet, etc. Anything that will dry out the fuel, and clean the carb and combustion chamber will work. They even make fuel stabalizer if you do not ride very often.

I think the last Seafoam I bought was $3.69 for a 16ounce can. I bought an entire case (I think ther were 24 cans). It is an All-In-one thing.

Hope this helps.

SJ

Old 05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: labdog
Thanks for the info. I set the idle up a little and it seems to run fine. I may try to drain out the gas it smells old amd may have some moisture in it.
Yea, do like swampy says and get some seafoam (gonna have to check that stuff out myself), I use Marvel Mystery Oil, carb/injector cleaner and dry gas in with every gallon. Anything that will keep the fuel system lubricated (eliminate gum build up), clean and moisture free will help. I also put a lawnmower gas filter between tank and carb ($0.99), cheap prevention. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - they say.