Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

dead electrics

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead electrics

guys
i was using my 03 500 cat yesterday.After parking it i went to re-start,no electrics, nothing , everything dead.
checked battery it's ok ,checked all terminals clean, cleaned them up anyhow, checked fuses in box next to battery, they were ok, functioned kill switch several times, feels ok?functioned ignition key several times, feels ok, applied wd-40 to all switches, electrics.Anyone got any ideas wot the problem could be????
Bike started ok with pullcord but 5th time i started the pullcord broke!!Anyone want to suggest stronger pullcord?
thanks
Stuart

Old 05-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default dead electrics

Vetcogray,

If you look in the right hand fenderwell, you will see a small black object called the starter selinoid. Or you can follow the positive wire from your battery to the selinoid. It has two large wires connected to it and a couple of smaller ones going to the brake and neutral lockouts. The positive from the battery and the other large wire is one goes to the starter. If you remove the clear plastic cover off the top you should see a green 30amp starter relay fuse. There should be a spare on the bottom of the rubber boot that the selinoid is attached to.

My guess is that you have blown that fuse. It keeps the starter from working but you can still pull start it, assuming the key is turned to the "on" position.

The real question should be "why did it pop?"

If you replace the fuse and as soon as you turn the key to the "on" position is pops again, then you have a short in the electrical system. On both of my 03 machines I had this problem. Both machines had the wiring harness pinched between a metal plate and the plastic that houses the ignition key on the handle bars. It appeared to grind a hole in the wire and short out.

There is also a bunch of wires crammed into a small channel at the base of the steering column. If you remove the fuel tank you can see these a little easier to inspect them.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. Electrical problems can be a real pain sometimes and very frustrating.

SJ

Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Default dead electrics

if its not the fuse its the starter relay itself. i've seen a few go bad. about a $65 fix

Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default dead electrics

thanks buddy
you were spot on!fuse was blown and wiring under the black box on handle barwas damaged due to the fact i flipped the bike 2 months ago and cracked the plastic box
thanks for the info ,pussycat is purring again!!
Stuart