Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Owner's Manual & 4wd/2wd switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owner's Manual & 4wd/2wd switch

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to quadding. I purchased a used 2003 Arctic Cat 400 with the auto transmission and would like more info (usage and technical specs) on it. Is there a way I could find a owner's manual online somewhere. I've done some searches but can't seem to locate any.

The 2003 has a Manual 4wd/2wd selector switch on the left side above the foot rest area. Pushing it in engages in 4wd; pulling it out becomes 2wd. Question is can I shift between 4wd and 2wd on the fly or do I have to come to a complete stop?

Thanks.

Dennis

Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Liteshow

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to quadding. I purchased a used 2003 Arctic Cat 400 with the auto transmission and would like more info (usage and technical specs) on it. Is there a way I could find a owner's manual online somewhere. I've done some searches but can't seem to locate any.

The 2003 has a Manual 4wd/2wd selector switch on the left side above the foot rest area. Pushing it in engages in 4wd; pulling it out becomes 2wd. Question is can I shift between 4wd and 2wd on the fly or do I have to come to a complete stop?

Thanks.

Dennis</end quote></div>

You can shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive on the fly, however it is better if you let off of the gas while doing so.

If you need parts you can get them here or look up the part number

http://www.arcticcatonlineparts.com/parts-browse.asp

Here is a link for the service/shop manual, I don't have a link for the owners manual.

http://silentfall.com/files/manual.zip

Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Are you looking for the owners manual or a service manual? If you contact AC or a dealer they should be able to get you free the owners manual. A service manual will cost some $.

I would reccomend coming to nearly a complete stop prior to shifting in/out of 4 wheel drive.

I know of someone who told me you can shift on the fly and just let off the gas. I will just say that after a few times he tried it and was traveling at about 10-15mph and he had to pick up the parts from his front diff off the ground.

It shifts easier in and out of 4 wheel if you are rolling slightly. I think it allows the engagement gears to mesh easier.

So on the fly-NO, rolling or stopped-YES.

SJ

Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Swampy is right don't be shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive going fast. Going to 2 wheel drive from 4 wheel drive probably would not cause any problems. I should have mentioned that before. Most times when you need 4 wheel drive you will probably be going slow anyway, close to getting stuck or aproaching a bad spot on the trail. I do like Swamy does and come to a stop or close too it before shifting into 4 wheel drive, and most times I am changing from high range to low range at the same time. A lot of times when I need 4 wheel drive I also need low range.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the valuable information about the 4wd/2wd shifting.

As for the owner's manual (not service manual), I will check with my local AC dealer.

Thanks for all the help!!

Dennis