Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC Cooling Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Cooling Question

I am wondering if it would be okay for my AC 650 V2 to run straight water+water wetter for the summer and then switch to a 50/50 mix for winter. 100% water is supposed to be the coolest and what the racers use, and water+water wetter runs even cooler. just wondering if its safe or if it will rust/corrode. water wetter says it helps resist those things. thanks for input.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acpower i wouldn't do it , not unless the water wetter has a lubicant in the stuff ; it will mess up your radiator and build up rust in there ! I know these engine's are mostly made up of aluminum but the head gasket's are made of steel and rust will eat up these steel haed gasket's , anti freeze has a lubicant base in it that lubicate's the radiator ; water pump and all the water jacket's and port's inside the engine ! I had one of those little chevy lumina's the the previus owner ran pure water in it for one summer after he had busted radiator hose , and instead of putting in some anti freeze he just filled it up with pure water needless to say it built up rust inside the radiator , eat through the head gasket clogged up the port's and blew the head gasket ! Ruined the engine just because he thought it wouldn't hurt anything to run it with only water for one summer , then put anti freeze back in when it started to get cold again ! williebee

Old 06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

thanks much

Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

acpower you're welcome that's what we're all here for to help anyone out , i just wanted to help i would hate to hear that someone ruined their quad i know how much i payed for my 06' AC 400 ; and if something like this happened to it i wouldn't be able to fix it for a long time ! I won't have mine payed off untill 2010 , i've been in the small engine service repair industry for over 20 yrs. and i know i could rebuild it ; but i couldn't buy the part's untill i got her payed off ! Have a good one acpower , and have safe sunday ! williebee

Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Water boils at 212 degrees, I almost think that anti-freeze has a higher boiling point too - not possitive just something that is stuck in my head for some reason. I also feel that these engines are running higher than 212 degrees. So unless you have a huge radiator the engine may boil all the water out.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

watch the demo at this site. it says that water wetter prevents corrosion rust etc. and also lubricates seals. also says that straight de-ionized water is the best cooling agent. check it out and see if it changes your mind, im tempted to try it but need someone to assure me its ok. thanks.

water + water wetter - 202*
water - 220*
50/50 + water wetter 220*
50/50 mix - 228*

Water Wetter Website

Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

ACPower - Your questions got me a little intrigued so I searched the internet. I also watched the Water Wetter website.

Here is some information I found:
- do not use Automotive Antifreeze in ATV's since it contains higher concentrations of additives to deal with the greater volume of coolant used in a typical automobile
- use distilled or deionized water when mixing with antifreeze
- antifreeze raises the boiling point of the mixture
- boiling water under pressure has a higher boiling point (i.e. that's why you need a spring loaded radiator cap say 15 psi)

I would recommend sticking to an ATV coolant either premixed or concentrate (use deionized water to make 50/50% mixture). I looked up one product called Maxima Coolant that was rated up to 265 deg F.

Trending Topics

Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: acpower

watch the demo at this site. it says that water wetter prevents corrosion rust etc. and also lubricates seals. also says that straight de-ionized water is the best cooling agent. check it out and see if it changes your mind, im tempted to try it but need someone to assure me its ok. thanks.

water + water wetter - 202*

water - 220*

50/50 + water wetter 220*

50/50 mix - 228*

Water Wetter Website</end quote></div>

Very interesting video - makes you think. I am air/oil cooled and am toying with the idea of installing a small second radiator, like they use for transmissions just big enough to hold a quart of oil. Since my machine holds just a tad over 3 quarts this would increase it to 4 quarts. I already have installed a lovered vent 4"x3" to direct air from my front wheel well to hit directly on my oil filter and front part of my transmission and lower front of the engine. I also have one on the hood of my machine that directs air coming over my hood to be direct down directly on the front of the engine and header pipe. The reason I did this was because with the addition of a winch it obstructed some air from getting to my oil-radiator and it seemed as tho ' my fan was running more now it seems to be back to normal - so I guess it is working, In any case it didn't hurt.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

i have an 04 supercharged monte carlo, that i installed a air to water intercooler on. granted my intercooler core and front mount heat exchanger are aluminum, they recommend straight distilled water (prevents mineral buildup etc...) for best temp drops. i have a bottle of dei's chill charger that i add in the summer to the mixture to lower temps further. i know its different than the atv's b/c of the composition of the parts, but straight water or water+wetter will work the best for removing the heat, although at what cost to the parts?

Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

There's a nice product called "Engine Ice" that sounds like it would fit the bill for you. It's widely used in motorcycle engines, and I've seen a few ppl using it on various forums.

http://www.engineice.cc/atv.html