Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.
View Poll Results: Has this post helped you?
Yes
84.00%
No
8.00%
Not sure
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

How do you make the AC handle better.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make the AC handle better.

OK .. Thnaks for all the info professor. I think I got it now .. As for what is happening when I go into a turn the front leans to the outside alot. I am going to try and up the tire preasure and let you know the results .. I am going to try and print out all this info to refer back to it as I go ..

Thanks again for all the info .. I guess it may save me some money by not buying new springs and shocks I hope ..

I will post my results.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: yearmax

OK .. Thnaks for all the info professor. I think I got it now .. As for what is happening when I go into a turn the front leans to the outside alot. I am going to try and up the tire preasure and let you know the results .. I am going to try and print out all this info to refer back to it as I go ..

Thanks again for all the info .. I guess it may save me some money by not buying new springs and shocks I hope ..

I will post my results.</end quote></div>

I wouldn't think that you would need new tires GoodYear makes a good tire I almost bought some Rawhide Grips. As far as radial is concerned, I have heard that AC's don't like them, I don't know for sure because I have never tried radials. I do know that AC's don't like 'roll-under' from soft side walls, I don't know if the radials react differently to 'roll-under' or not. It will be interesting to know how you are making out so be sure to keep us posted.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope

Buckaroo,
Thanks for the tire pressure tips. I settled on 7.5 lbs for the fronts and 5 for the rears and it made a big diference on cornering.

I saw on Dirt Trax TV last weekend that they did a static roll over test (tipped the ATVs on a platform) testing a Canam , a Polaris, a Yamaha and an AC. Surprisingly the AC tipped at the highest angle both loaded and unloaded.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Fossil

Buckaroo,

Thanks for the tire pressure tips. I settled on 7.5 lbs for the fronts and 5 for the rears and it made a big diference on cornering.

I saw on Dirt Trax TV last weekend that they did a static roll over test (tipped the ATVs on a platform) testing a Canam , a Polaris, a Yamaha and an AC. Surprisingly the AC tipped at the highest angle both loaded and unloaded.</end quote></div>

Cool, I have 1 inch spacers and you can't imagine how off camber I can tip mine. I will have to remember about the static roll over test results.
Glad to hear that the tire pressure (taking the 'roll-under' out) helped you. Now you can start to work on your suspension (preloads)... lol..

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

For those of you that have done some of this, it may help other if you post what changes you made and how it has affected your handling. Post what your settings were before you started and what they are now and what you feel has improved or helped your handling.

Has anyone else put spacers on their wheels?

All post greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

i would like to say that i dont even feel arctic cat atvs are tippy to begin with. i have an 06 650 v2 with 27" tires giving me roughly 14" of GC therefor making my center of gravity much higher than say a honda or polaris with roughly 8-10" of GC. i can zip through tight wooded trails at my in-laws on mine doing 20-30 without feeling tippy or like i need to slow down. last time i was there i took their Polaris 500 EFI through the same trails and felt much more like i was going to roll on theirs than on mine. BTW the plastic racks on Polaris really really rattle and make a monotonous noise at speeds under 10. i dont know how they live with that. but i wouldnt recommend spending money on wheel spacers. just get used to the ride then let er rip.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear that your AC doesn't feel tippy, you probably have your preloads and tire pressures set good, but many do feel tippy.

If your machine is all set then that is great, but you may find if you went to a 25" tire and put some wheel spacers on the thing would feel like a whole different machine and give you a sensation of a 'go-cart'. As a 25" lower profile tire will always handle better than a taller profile, and wider stance with wheel spacers will always improve handling tremendously. Plus the spacers give a host of other benefits also, to include more angle of off-camber, more wheel travel and a little more GC, more stability, smoother ride, tad softer ride, ride out of other peoples ruts, straddle more obstacles. I have 13.5 inches of GC with 25" tires. Maybe your rims are off-set and giving you addition width like a spacer would.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope

Worked great for me. Handlles like a different machine.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Fossil

Worked great for me. Handlles like a different machine.</end quote></div>

Glad to hear it Fossil, maybe you could post your settings so that others could try it. All machines will be a little different but it could serve as a starting point for someone. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM

front tires: 7.5 lbs
Rears: 5.0 lbs

front shocks: softest setting
Rear shocks: second from softest

Stock tires (2007 goodyears)

Quick Reply: How do you make the AC handle better.