Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.
View Poll Results: Has this post helped you?
Yes
84.00%
No
8.00%
Not sure
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

How do you make the AC handle better.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you make the AC handle better.

hey buck what kinda of springs do you have in those pics? highlifter hd springs?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, I don't think I got any lift from them tho', If I did it wasn't much. Length wise they were only about 1/8 inch longer, it could be the stock had settled some too. I replaced the stock because I was starting to run them more on the middle and once in a great while on the 4th setting as apposed to the second setting. With these I can run either the lowest or second setting and they do pretty good. They may be stiffer but because I can now run them lower they seem about the same. But I feel that they do offer some stability mostly noticeable in climbing hills in that the rear doesn't seem to squat as much so if you are a little off-camber it feels truer, and doesn't want to lift the uphill front tire as much. I also was able to drop my rear tires down to 4.5 from 5 and it helps some on the little bumps I guess - hard to really say.
Part of the reason for my stock shocks being run higher is that with the more aggressive rear tires it was harder to break them loose so I had to go stiffer to break them. I don't really think my stock springs were all that weak.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

This thread is such a good read it deserves a bump.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Westslope

This thread is such a good read it deserves a bump.</end quote></div>

I happen to agree and thanks for the bump Westslope. I hope that all newbies and people having less than adequate handling read this post from front to back. I have gotten feedback from other forums and the results are the same. Polaris, Yamaha etc are all gaining. This makes my heart smile. I am glad that people are getting some benefit.....

I will again offer that anyone having problems feel free to write to me and I will try my best to help out.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

26" Big Horns
Sway Bar
High Lifter HD springs

This did the trick for my 650 V2

Shonk

Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

So how do you like those Bighorns? I'm thinking about a set for my upcoming TRV. Pricey, but they look stout. I don't want a super aggressive tread, as I ride mostly on my own farm, and mud tires really tear the ground up.

I found the same as others with my 500i. First, tire pressures, 8 in the front, 6 in the back. At these low pressures, 1psi is noticable. Second, spring rates, a bit stiffer in the front than the back. That seemed to tighten up the slightly mushy front end feeling.

When I first got the 500, I thought it felt a bit top heavy as compared to my big bear that I had been on for several years. Didn't seem to turn in as quickly. However, I also found that was largely perception, rather than fact. Once I monkeyed with the pressures/spring rates a bit, and mainly once I got used to the machine, and learned to lean into the turns (particularly effective on an IRS machine), I had no problems with handling.

Just keep in mind what the Cat was built for. It's not a prepared trail hotrod, it's a rough ground eater. No swaybar, which means it rolls more but also means the wheels articulate better. If the trail gets rough, the Cat really comes into it's own. Flies over a rocky creekbed that my old bear would have been out of control on. I've bushwhacked other atv riders more than once on my 'cat only' trails, they just don't have the GC to get through.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I love them I have 2500 miles on them and hardly any ware.

Shonk

Old 09-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Seems to me that AC should read this post and make a lot of the improvements that you are all talking about. I used to swear by their sleds and have been very disappointed with their atv offerings. Hope it gets better in the future.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mud Hog

Seems to me that AC should read this post and make a lot of the improvements that you are all talking about. I used to swear by their sleds and have been very disappointed with their atv offerings. Hope it gets better in the future.</end quote></div>

There is nothing wrong with AC. The suspension and tire pressures just need to be tuned from the factory settings. My experience has been that once tuned the AC can handle better than most and can be right there with the best of them. Actually if you spend some time, the AC IRS and run with an SRA. Plus with AC you get a host of other bennies such as the industry leader in GC and wheel travel. Doesn't get much better than this. AC as well as all ATV's the demon is the 'role-under' from the front tires.

The post was done so that people could tune the suspension and really get the benefits from the AC. Rather than blindly make adjustments, to be able to know what to do in order to get the results that you want. If your machine is behaving in a certain way, some things that you can do to correct it and not just blindly, hit or miss, make changes.

This post has not only helped AC but several other brands, based on the private messages I have received. It all makes my heart smile to know that it has done some good and people have benefited, no matter what they are riding.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Theshonk

26" Big Horns

Sway Bar

High Lifter HD springs

This did the trick for my 650 V2

Shonk</end quote></div>

Glad to hear that you are on your way to a more enjoyable ride.

Quick Reply: How do you make the AC handle better.