Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 H1 TBX Brakes : Or lack of brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 H1 TBX Brakes : Or lack of brakes

I just bought a 2007 650 H1 TBX. Having hydraulic disc brakes, my assumptions were high that the braking performance would be awesome. I've been hugely disappointed in the brakes... I can squeeze the lever and slam the pedal, but when moving it has little effect. When standing still, the bar brake seems to go a good job holding the atv still. Thinking there may have been oil on the discs from transport, I hit them good with brake cleaner. I'm not seeing others complain about the brakes, but I'd like to know if this is common, or is there something that I should check/change on my TBX? Thanks for any ideas,
Gowfster

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Some have great brakes, mine have always been weak. In fact now they are so bad that I have to pump them at least once (dangerous). I plan to change the brake fluid and if that doesn't cure it then I guess I will need a new master cylinder. I took my mechanical rear brake off and chucked it (broke the housing twice). It was worthless anyway - all it was good for was holding the machine in place - like on a hill while you changed gears, now I just lock the hand brake or use my right hand to shift while holding the brake with my left. I may attempt to put a right hand brake on - I probably would only need to add a couple one way valves to each side - to keep the pressure from going to the other hand brake and blowing the cover off the reserve. If I put one way valves then the brakes may not release - lol.. I will have to think about that one for a while.
I checked online and a new master cylinder is like $149.00 - whew, time to look at generic or maybe a snowmobile or motorcycle one that may work and be less expensive. AC doesn't let you by just the master cylinder you have to get the whole assembly - why would I need a new lever, reserve bowl etc? - when all I need is the MC housing and piston...

Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Trailblazer

You may have to take it back, and see what a dealer mechanic can do. If you read the manual it talks about how to break in the brake system. It may help.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

I burnished mine when new but they were never really that great compared to what others have said. I do know that my reservoir is plastic and I think AC has gone to a metal one now. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or if the plastic was just more susceptible to breakage.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

say buck, my 02 is metal

Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake's on my 2006 AC 400 FIS 4x4 Auto were and are still perfect , and it has the metal mastercylinder ; but even though my dealer told me that my quad was fully prepped by her staff i did the brake burnishing again before i took it for my first ride ! The only thing that i had to do to my quad other than regular serving was one of the screw's on the left rear fender to rack vibrated loose on my first ride and i lost only the nut and washer i went back to my dealer to get the nut and washer she gave me a bag full of screw's,nut's flat and lock washer's at no cost ; and told me i should go over all the screw's so i wouldn't have to come back in for something small like that again plus since she had known me since she was 4 yrs old and that i was a factory certified small engine tech for over 20 yrs i just either call in or stop by the shop and by my oil filter's from her and she log me in her computer record's for proff of required servicing for my warrantee sake i couldn't find a better dealer anywhere all the rest of the dealer's like Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha Kawasaki within the tri state area i live in ! I would take it back to the dealer and have them fix those brake's under warrantee , the only reason's for bad brake's on any atv that new would be a defect on one or more componate's in the brake system ; or improper dealer prep ! I know xome people will try to fix it themself's because of long wait's with their dealer's being covered up when you need them ; or just have a bad dealer or they just like to tinker with their quad's first before going taking it in to the daeler ! Anyway i hope you can get those brake's fixed right and under warrantee even if you have to take it to another dealer or go through Arctic Cat custermer service , have a good week ; and i hope everyone get's to have a good ride over the weekend ! ...............................williebee

Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: booboobear

say buck, my 02 is metal</end quote></div>

Good I am going to come over and steal yours, I will leave you a stick so you can drag it on the ground for brakes.