Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC500....Tires size

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001 | 09:38 PM
|
Range Rover

I think after a lot of comparing I am going to get a AC500 manual. I hunt in really remote areas and a maximum amount of engine braking while towing up and down steep ridges is a top consideration. Here is my question"What size tire are you all runing without installing a lift kit"? I probably would use an all around tire like Bearclaw or 589 or such because of the varing terrain. I would like to thank the CAT members of this message board who matched up my needs (in a previous post) with this ATV. I was somewhat interested in the Kawasaki 650 but after close inspection they are already making what I need a BRUTE called the AC500. The comments that Cowboy , Boner and a gentleman from AK made were to the point and accurate and never sounded like "I own one so it has got to be the best." This is how a message board should operate. Thanks

Old 01-03-2001 | 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have 27" Bi/Tri Claws on. You can fit any 27" tire on there with no problem at all. Plenty of room. You might experience some rub if you tried a 12" wide tire on the front, but I doubt you would be interested in that by what you were saying. Its not too popular for anyone other than straight mud riders. If you don't have to be the fastest, then the AC would be good for you. They can hold their own with most everything, but the Grizz and Sp500 will both leave them way behind. Reliability seems to be as good as Honda from my standpoint. After over 2 years, I have no problems. A few folks have had some problems, but they are the kind that any quad would have. For instance, Boner has tore up a lot on his quad, but he must ride the hell out of it. No other quad would fare any better under those conditions I don't think. In other words, jumping a 600lb. machine 2 ft. in the air on several occasions is not really the best thing to do to keep a big 4x4 in one piece.

I have some pics I took with a new digital camera that I made specifically for fender clearance with 27" tires. I'll try to get them up as quick as I can. You will be able to see that there is still a lot of room to spare.

Old 01-04-2001 | 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

Before I installed spacers on my bike my 27x12x12 Tri-Claw magnums pumped up to 27.5" tall never rubbed the fenders at all, not even when I bottomed out. They did rub the shocks alittle(not enought to bother me) but the real problem was that the side bitters of my front Claws would bite the Ox-Lite boot guards when my front suspension was at full drop and my handle bars were turned. This produced an horrible poping sound and I started to think my CV's were bad.

So, I installed my spacers up front and the poping sound stoped and they didn't rub the shocks at all, BUT thats when the fender rubbing started. The combination of wheel spacers and 27.5" tires caused my front tires to rub the fenders when I hit a ditch hard. The spacers also made steering harder.

I just finished installing a lift kit yesterday but I put my factory tires back on for now.

I think Narrow front 27" tires are the way to go, they will not rub and steering will be WAY better than stock for most tires.

Well, good luck.

Old 01-04-2001 | 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

Buckfever:
Hey, glad to hear we could be of help. I had originally THOUGHT I had decided on going with the Mud Bugs, but Andy and Boner both convinced me to try the 'Claws instead. I'm glad they did, these tires are AWESOME to say the least. Those guys both really know their stuff, and have probably the widest knowledge base of ALL atvs on the market, not just the AC lineup, so you can bet that what they have to say is pretty much right on the money.

Again, I'm also running 27"x9.75" Bi-Claws up front, with 27"x12" Tri-Claws in the rear. These tires fit great stock, on the stock rims, with no lift or spacers required. You might notice a slight rub on the heat shield for the muffler though, with the 12" wide rears-at full rear articulation, with one tire at full drop, the other fully compressed. I have installed spring spacers on both the front and rear-to relieve the extra weight of the gear I carry up front at all times. These spacers are 3/8" thick in the rear and have eliminated the rubbing entirely.

If you're looking at the 27" 589's, you won't have any trouble at all with them. I believe they actually measure something like 26.25" tall at the recommended tire pressure, but I could be off a bit on that. To my knowledge, the Magnum 'Claws are the only tire that measures at least, if not slightly more than claimed at recommended p.s.i. -that is another added bonus that I really like about the 'Claws-the ground clearance gain. I had to check the numbers twice, as it just didn't add up right, but by going from my stock 25" 489's, up to my 27" 'Claws, I gained a solid 2". Then, with the spacers, I gained another 1.5", for a total of 3.5" combined. That has allowed me to go more places with my 'Cat than ever before. There are a couple places now -mostly the deep mud/snow- that my dad's stock 'Cat cannot follow, mostly due to ground clearance gains, and definately from increased traction.

If you're at all concerned about power loss from the larger tires, don't be. That was my biggest fear with the heavier weight of the larger tires, and consequently why I was looking so serious into the Bugs (they are a lot lighter in weight). Honesly, I can tell a slight loss in power in high gear, going up hill. However, drop into low gear, and you can't even tell their there. I'm still towing the huge loads I always have before, even with the huge meats underneath. Hills in high gear are about the only place I notice any difference in power, though only slight. With the manual 'Cat, I doubt you'll be able to notice much at all.

Well, hopefully my long-windedness has provided at the very least, a slight insight that may be of some consideration. Best of luck with the decision,

Mike