Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Yea, I'M a newbie. altenators?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea, I'M a newbie. altenators?????

I have an Arctic Cat 300 2 X 4 2001 Red. I've been through 2 batteries this summer. I suspect there is something that charges the battery but I doesn't show one in the diagrams. So is it the magneto or the CDI. Yea I know, what a dummy..

Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

All ATV's use magnetos. For a magneto to charge it needs to break the RPM point which is around 2000 rpm's... meaning that the battery will not be charged when running lower than 2000 rpm's. Really slow running with lights etc will drain a battery pretty fast, so will winches.
It is a pretty good idea to charge the battery on a regular basis. I rigged up a quick connect and my machine sits in the garage so after a run I just put the charger on and leave it. Every time I head out I have a fully charged battery.
ATV batteries only last 2-4 years anyway but if you are on a second battery this season I would check to see if maybe there is a short in your electrical system.

Check this link out:
https://atvconnection.com/D...V-Charging-Systems.cfm

Old 09-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thanks, I appriciate the help. I'll get a new battery and keep the charger on it. It seems to reason that since this machine only putt's around the property, hardly ever run hard, is probably why the battery is run down and needs charging.
Thanks again...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

Two batteries in a summer is not normal. Unless the engine never gets above idle.

I'll bet your rectifier/regulator is shot. Get a voltmeter and see what voltage you're getting to the battery at idle and at a fast steady rpm. Ideally , you should get about 14.2 volts when the engine is revved up. If you see the voltage "jumping " around a lot or just staying below 13.9 then you know you have a charging problem.

The stator rarely go bad. The rectifier /regulator is the likely culprit.

ps. I'm sure you've already checked all the grounds and wires for corrosion, right?

Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Watch the water level on the Arctic Cat batteries. I had to fill that sucker up twice a year. Also, when it dies, DO NOT get another battery from the Dealer, they are crap. Get yourself an Odyssey battery. You will not have any more problems and they last for a good 8 years. Yes, a trickle charger is nice for when you don't ride for several weeks. I have one car I don't drive in the winter, I pull the battery out and trickle charge it once a month. Charging battries makes them last longer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]