Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Starter Relay or wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Relay or wiring?

[img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]Just had the same problem. Took my AC in and shorted the relay out and the starter worked fine. My AC started right up as soon as I shorted the relay. Took about 10- minutes to replace the unit. Hope you have gotten yours fixed.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Haven't had a lot of time to test it. I did determine that I'm noit getting any voltage at the relay when I press the starter button. I did a diode test on the starter button and it is fine. I know the starter is good cause I can short the wires on the relay to start the AC. since I'm not getting any voltage at the relay when I press the starter buttom, I'm now thinking I have either a broken/rusted wire or a bad connection somewhere between the starter button and the relay. I just have to take the time to trace it out.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes, sounds like a loose or broken wire. You can go to the auto parts store and buy a test light for around $2.00. All you have to do is hook up the ground and then push the point into the insulation. If you get a light then you have power. If not you've hit on your problem. Anyway, good luck and get back out there.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

I'm gonna try to check the wires early next week. It starts with one pull of the rope so it definitley ain't sitting. I'm putting the tranny back together in a polaris so they will both be on a trail next weekend!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default starter relay

when i short out the starter relay(on my 97 AC Bearcat 454), my engine turns over. i get no lights on the pod or headlights when i turn the key on. i played with the wires under the pod by wiggling them some, but got no power on the pod or headlights.

if the starter relay is bad would it prevent power to the pod and headlights???

all fuses by the battery and on the starter relay look good. are there fuses anywhere else

Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by realeac
when i short out the starter relay(on my 97 AC Bearcat 454), my engine turns over. i get no lights on the pod or headlights when i turn the key on. i played with the wires under the pod by wiggling them some, but got no power on the pod or headlights.

if the starter relay is bad would it prevent power to the pod and headlights???

all fuses by the battery and on the starter relay look good. are there fuses anywhere else
answer to your first question: no. the starter relay is only for the starter. and nothing else
the second answer could be a broken wire, or corrosion some where between the battery and the igntion switch. it may evon be the switch. get a test light and start checking wither from the battery to the switch. ot check the wires round the switch. evon a wire diagram will be a big help.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

call me an idiot.

after looking at the relay again, i discovered after i put it back together i wired it wrong. i had the battery wired to the motor terminal.

i noticed today the relay is labelled:

B for battery terminal

M for starter motor.

if you wire correctly it works.

thanks for the help

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

i still get a strong click sound from the relay, when i press start. but let go the start button and try it again and it works. this has been an intermittent problem for years for me. guess i should try a new relay. any ideas where to get one cheap

Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

did you check the relay to make shure power is going to the starter when you try and start it? i might be the starter. but it might not.
any high power 12v relay will work. it just depends if you want water proof or not. put in an oem spot. and if you dont care about looks. just go to a local automotive shop see what they got for starter relays. but check with a dealer first to see how much it is for a polaris one. i dont know of prices. or if the oem or a aftermarket one will be cheaper. oh and if you wire in a aftermarket one. make shure its wired right.