Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

wenching yourself out ?? Ideas ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wenching yourself out ?? Ideas ???

Well I've been thinking again....Yes it's true....What do I do when I'm miles out there and get stuck by myself and no one is around....How do I get myself out of the ditch ????

I'm thinking of carying about a 5 to 6 foot lenth of steel rod with me along with a 5 lbs sledge hammer....That way if I get stuck bad I'll pound the steel rod into the ground and hook my wench to it and pull my ol sorry stuck **** out....Then when I'm on grade level I'll hook the wench to the rod and pull that out of the ground or at least loosen it so I can pull er out......

Any other ideas ????? Other then staying out of the ditch's ....Bahahahahahah.

Donnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Always good to have a buddy along. No trees around? Even with a tree it is good to have a strap around it, otherwise the winch cuts into the tree & stress it or even kills it. Then will not be there for the next person that needs it. Fence post? Telephone or electric pole? Big rock? I always when winching use the machine to help along rather than just relying on the winch. More use the winch to assist the machine.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

If you can hook your winch to the top of your steel rod, that will work. it would be a pain to be carrying something that long with you. I usually try to ride with other people but when I ride by myself I have a crowbar that is about 2-3 ft. long (fits perfectly across my rear rack). I have only used it once, I pounded it in the ground all the way on a little bit of an angle. It got me out but moved a few inches in the ground while I was winching, so if I was stuck worse or pulling up a hill I dont think it would have held. Id imagine if the ground is too hard it would be a pain in the *** trying to pound it in, and if its too muddy it wont be able to hold. I heard danforth boat anchors work very well because they dig down as your winching in. I tried a small anchor I have for my boat but it doesnt hold at all so I dont know how big of an anchor you would need.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

You only need a tire wrench that is one lugged - know what I mean. Looks like a big screwdriver on one end and is crooked with a nut wrench on the other. Another thing that works is a screw in rod for hooking a dog line or cattle line. Looks like a big cork-screw. Both are about 18" long and will work.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Trailblazer

These are some of the ideas I'm looking for .....Several heads are allways better then mine...Bahahahhah....

Upnort,,,,I do use the Cat's power to assist me as well as with the wench's power....I'ed rather use the Cat then the wench....Even if the wench pulls me out of the rut I've dug then I try unhooking and see if the Cat can do it on it's own...It's more fun that way......

jleo...I think I need a big **** anchor,,,But I don't know if my Cat can hual 2000 lbs....Bahahahahah,,,

buckaroo50.........Thanks,,,And I like your idea of the dog stake...That there just might be the ticket....

Just going to have to try a few different things and see what works the best...Luckly I can do this just behind my shop in the " Test Ditch " That way it's not so far to walk....Bhahahahah....

I would weld a D loop on the side of the steel stake so I can pound on the top of er.........

This is good stuff,,,Keep um comming.........

Donnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............. ..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

Just an FYI, they do make winch anchors for when there are no trees around. If I recall correctly, they look like a drag style boat anchor. The more pressure on the anchor, the farther it digs in.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

Crankdog...!!!!!!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!!! Now were getting somewhere........This sounds just like the ticket......Do you know where I can find one of these at or a .com I can go to to check this out.....You got me excited now....I never knew they made such a thing.....You da Man..........

Donnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........

Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JUST go to your local wal-mart and buy a small anchor and get an Army entrenching tool

Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here's what we used 4 wheeling in a jeep when there were no tree's handy , we carried an old rear car or truck axle and a sledge hammer it would be awkward to carry on an atv though ; but with less weight than a jeep to pull out of the mud you could cut some lenth off the axle ! And you can use a rutsack or some kind of padded bag to keep from scratch up yor rack's . The rear axle hammered in the ground was the only thing that worked to keep my Doberman from tangling his chain i had him hooked up to , i tried the cloth's line and ratcheting chain spool ; and several other suggestion's and the rear axle was the only thing that worked with Rattler ! Oh and in my Doberman Rattler's case i had to knock out the stud bolt's because he would catch the chain link's on the stud bolt's , it was wearing me down having to go outside in the rain and thunderstorm's to get his chain unraveled from a tree so he could get to his dog house ; he wasn't very bright when it came right down to it and i stopped keeping him in the house after i came in one day and he had eaten the couth and demolished the house while i was gone for an hour ! .........

Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

Well I found er.....

www.pullpal.com $199.99 I'm so there..

Who woulda thunk it....Man they got everything for everything out there....I must be living under a rock.........Bahahahahahah..........

I think getting stuck and sitting there scratching your head is a thing of the past for me now......

Bring it on Big Ditch....Bahahahahahaha.........

Guy's thanks for all your great help.....Donnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

Quick Reply: wenching yourself out ?? Ideas ???