Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Wahhhhh.... Carbs, tough starting v2

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wahhhhh.... Carbs, tough starting v2

Hey, I've seen a few of these posted and don't see many replies. I have a 2006 v2. I have trouble getting it to start and run during cold weather. It cranks over, fires up right away for about 2-3 seconds and dies out. If I try to hit the gas, it dies, same thing with the choke. If I pull the air breather off when it is running and put the choke on, I see the change so I know the choke is working. I put new plugs in, yeah, that was fun, and same issue. I really don't want to pull the carbs as I see that this is an ongoing issu, not a dirty carb. Any Ideas, I would appreciate the help so I can get this beast running when I need it. My lawn is happy though, hehe.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you made any mods to the intake or exhaust? When I start mine, I need to give it the ever so slightest amount of throttle, barely touching it. Try that if you haven't already.

Let us know about the mods.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Nope, no mods. All stock. I tried the little touch of gas and nothing. Choke doesn't seem to do anything but I know that it works. I love the machine so far, had it a couple of months, but man, this starting issue kills me. I wish I knew if there were any fixes. Oh, I do have some 27 inch tires on it but I dont think that mod would affect my starting it,hehe. This is such a monster of a machine, I like it. Not a big fan of the loose steering though, may consider a dampaner.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 25083

Nope, no mods. All stock. I tried the little touch of gas and nothing. Choke doesn't seem to do anything but I know that it works. I love the machine so far, had it a couple of months, but man, this starting issue kills me. I wish I knew if there were any fixes. Oh, I do have some 27 inch tires on it but I dont think that mod would affect my starting it,hehe. This is such a monster of a machine, I like it. Not a big fan of the loose steering though, may consider a dampaner.</end quote></div>

The choke on should give it faster idle till it warms up, then it should stall the engine. It must not be working!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible that your choke is working, but not working properly. They are known to have sticky choke cables, you might not be getting the full choke it is capable of.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Range Rover

y dont you try raising your idle a bit during warm up?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

This has been a topic on various forums for some time. My own 650 V2 starts hard too - in the summer.

My dealer tells me that some machines have the problem, some do not, and he is unable to find the difference in order to fix it.

That said, there is a possible fix from another forum (for the life of me I can't find now) and I intend to do this next summer. The gist of it follows.

On the rubber boot between the carb and engine (both carbs) there is a molded - and plugged - nipple. It looks like something a small rubber hose would fit into. The author of the fix indicated his dealer inserted a small (properly sized of course) plastic tube into each carb, attaching the free ends to a plastic "T." Another plastic line was connected from the "T" to a primer plunger which was obtained from a snowmobile. Fuel supply was a line between the primer and the main fuel line, near the fuel tank.

To start his machine he hits the primer a couple of times, shooting raw fuel into the boot between the carb and the intake. It starts easily. Like I said, I have not yet tried this, but intend to this summer.

Another gent has snorkeled his machine and covers the intake snorkel with the palm of his hand. That seems to work for him.

All of the above assumes your choke cables, slides, etc. are working correctly. The V2 has a sticking choke cable issue and that should be checked first in order to assure proper function.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, egg on my face a little here. I tore down my carbs and did another complete cleaning. I checked the choke lever on the handlebar and it was letting the choke cable slip through, I replaced the $8 piece and my machine starts EVERY time, no matter how cold. This was my only Gripe on my AC and it is now resolved. I went on a nice 20 mile Powerline ride and never had a problem. Thanks for all the input on this guys, if the piece breaks again, a quick fix is not to replace the cheap plastic piece, you just steal a metal shifte lever off of a old 10 speed and use that, the cable ends are the same.