Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Durability of the Arctic Cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 454 was Arctic Cat's First entry into the ATV market in mid 1996 as a 97 model. As a first timer they were bound to have there problems. The most famous was probaly the jetting. They back fired alot, but changing to a 152.5 main jet normally fixes that. They also had a crapy foot lever mounted parking brake. HIDIOUS gold rims and graphics, and steering that has wasn't so good. IN 98 they went to slighly wider handle bars, differnt steering specs, Titian tires(might not have been 98, maybe 99), and if I had my issue with the 1998 Arctic Cat test I could tell you what I'm leaving off.

Overall the older cat was not a bad quad, but over time Arctic Cat has clearly improved on some great quads. Talking to mechanic's they tell me the 01's are alot easier to work on. Like the gas tank. My 99 needs to be pryied into place to line up right, the newer models witht he larger tanks fit naturally and easy. Also the wireing has gotten better.

I think you should get that 300 cat. Ever since I got my cat I have been raged about it cause it's not a Honda. They all talk there trash till I beat them, then they shut up. I've been in pulls offs, mud bogs, climbing, races, and deep water HONDA rescues. I've never left a ride with the Honda owners not being impressed with my Cat's performance.

Trust me, go with the 300, you will not regret it.

Old 01-22-2001, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention that there was a pull off between a TOTALLY stock ac300 and 450s. On the road was the only place they did move, and the 300 was the one going forward. It could not pull the 450 in low range, but in super low the 450 had no chance. The 450 started shifting gears and just spinning as it was draged by alittle 300.

So, thats an example of it's power.

Old 01-22-2001, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

Dont forget with the 300 cat you can do the shift linkage trick to get true four wheel drive.
Matty

Old 01-23-2001, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks,
I appreciate everyones input. You are right I think he was just wanting me to buy the Honda for the name. I am still planning on getting the AC 300 4X4 with the winch next month. I will have to go riding with him and show him which quad is really the best.

Old 01-23-2001, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Main problems with the 454's were carbueration. Plugs fouled quickly and they backfired. The 97 and under models called Bearcats were nothing like the 98's. Those older ones had bad dunlop tires and a crappy footbrake actuated parking brake.

In 98, they revised the steering (major improvement) and gave it a hydraulic lock on the left hand lever. Also got titan 489 tires in 25x10-12 all around. Gold wheels were gone too.

Halfway through the 98 year, they discontinued the 454 by putting the suzuki 500 motor in the same exact body. No other changes.

For 99, the 500 got a plushier seat and a start in gear feature, along with titan 495 26x10.5-12 tires. These lasted one year and they went back to the easier steering 489's.

My cousin has a 98 model 454 and my 500 is a 99. They are identical to look at, though I have a slightly bigger engine, more rounded seat, and a start in gear feature. He had problems at the start, but a hotter spark plug and a simple 5 adjustment to the screw on the carb took that away. Other than that, no problems.

Speed, they are 1 mph different. Acceleration, I may get him by just a hair, but its not something that we can notice much.

Anyone who picked up a leftover 98 454 during 1999 got a hell of a deal. Closeout price on a discontinued model. They got a bike that has all the features of the 500 and still has a more powerful engine than the Honda 450 which was going for $6200 at the time.

Very few have had problems with AC's in this forum. Those that did could probably prevented them by not abusing them. Boner screwed his bike all to hell, but he would have tore up an M-1 Abrams the way he tries to ride it.

Arctic Cat is far and away the best utility for the price. You get as much or more than almost everything else for a lot less. If you don't need the speed of a Grizz or sportsman, this quad could definitely be for you. It will stay close to or ahead of just about everything else.

Old 01-23-2001, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what year of AC my cousins buddy had. It sounds like from what you guys have said that he must have had an earlier model. My cousin did say that one of the biggest problems was the jetting for the high altitudes 8000ft and above when they were up hunting.
I know that one a dirt road the 300 won't keep up with the bigger machines. But once the going gets tuff will the 300 keep up or will it power out?

Old 01-23-2001, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

One of my friends has a 98 454 and hasnt had any problems yet, hauled me home many times, about a month ago we were messing around rolling over an old subaru in my buddies back yard and rolled sideways landed on the rear rack of the wheeler, squatted it right down, diddnt damage anything though! Good tough machine.

Old 01-23-2001, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

We have 3 1999 AC 300's in this family. Bought them almost two years ago. Two 4x4's and one 2x4.
Mine gets the most use and has 1400+ miles. We do ALOT of mud/water/sand type riding, more often than not, at an aggressive pace. In other words, we don't "baby" them. None of the bikes have ever been in the shop for repairs.

You won't regret your decision. Your friends just aren't informed about Arctic Cat. When the trails get tough, the Cat will shine with it's IRS and ground clearance.

I added a winch, snorkel, 26" Outlaws, then adjusted the front cable for 4 wheel lock, and get through alot of places some other big bore stock machines don't.

Hope this helped,
Mike

Old 01-24-2001, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

MaxandBlade, DO you have 26" tires all the way around your 300? When you changed to 26" tires did you notice any difference in the performance of your machines?

Old 01-24-2001, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

Trying to tell me something??

Quick Reply: Durability of the Arctic Cats