Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Durability of the Arctic Cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted some confirmation that I am making the right choice. I am getting ready to buy an AC 300 4X4. I was talking with my cousin last night about the new quad. He told me that he has a friend that has an AC 454. His friend is always fixing things on it. He told me that I was making a big mistake buying the AC. He is a big Honda fan and said that is the only way to go. I told him that I had done my research and that the AC offered more options for a better price than the Honda or any other manufacture. I have spoken with my dealer and they say that they don't have too many problems. I guess my concern is that I don't know anyone personally that owns one. I was just wanting to know what are the most common problems that I will have to fix on the AC.

Old 01-22-2001, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

My wife has the AC 300. She loves it! Have had no problems with it. I prefer the 300 over my 500 for all day trail riding. The 300 turns much easier,has a great ride,and is better on gas.
I am not sure of what you will use the 300 for the most,but remember it is a utility not a sport model.
I think the reliability of the AC is as good if not better than most.

Old 01-22-2001, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my AC500 for 3 years now. I work it very hard and never had a lick of problems with it. I think somebody is trying to scare you away from AC. I have 2 other friends with AC 500's and they are very satisfied with theirs also. Sorry I don't know anybody with an AC 300.

Old 01-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I figure about 90% will be trailriding and 10% hunting. I understand that it is not a sport machine. I am not looking for a fast ride. I am wanting to have a machine that will be able to go out on trail rides with friends and family. I do want to be able to keep up with other machines and not have everyone waiting for me. My dad has two Polaris Sportsman 500's and some friends have either the Kodiak 400, or the honda Ranchers. I just don't want to buy a machine that I am going to have trouble with. Some of my friends are giving me a hard enough time because I told them I was buying the AC. The last thing I need is to have to have them tow me back to the trucks. I want to be towing them back.

Old 01-22-2001, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

Thought I would let you know that I also plan on purchasing an AC 300 and it's a great machine. I have rode my share of Atvs ( hondas,yam,and polaris), and they all make great machines. In my oppinion for the 300 class of Atvs the Ac 300 is the best all around utility quad. I rode the Ac 300 and it's a great machine.If I were you and I will be this summer, I would buy the AC. Good luck in you decision.

Old 01-22-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't worry in the least bit about the reliability and breakdowns of the 'Cat lineup. They are as tough, if not tougher than most on the market, including your buddies famed Hondas. Hopefully either Boner or Andy will reply to this one, they probably know the most about the 454 your buddy has. I don't know for sure (can't remember exactly) but I believe the 454 was the first AC quad to be built, back in 1995??? This first machine and the early 454's were known to have a few problems, though I don't remember exactly what-again, hopefully Boner or Andy will respond, I know they have the run down on this topic for sure. Anyway, AC has come a long way since the introduction of the 454 bearcat and improved upon many things. Basically, when it comes down to the purchase and the incentives options, I'd highly recommend the winch over the extended warranty, as I just don't think you'll need the warranty. I've put my 500 Auto through hell and back numerous times as far as work goes, and have never been let down before-it takes the work with ease and begs for more. I do keep up with regular oil changes and air filter cleanings-changing oil every 300 miles and cleaning air filter as necessary, if not every 300 like the oil. That's about all you have to worry about as far as maintenance goes, everything else is sealed, unless you drown the thing in a river-try to avoid doing that if at all possible!

Anyway, best of luck. It sounds like you've done your homework and know what you're getting for the money-judging from your other posts, so don't let your buddies opinion sway your decision. You're right, for the money, and the options available, I think it's hard to beat a 'Cat. If you are still in doubt, hell, run back to the dealerships and take them both out for a test drive again and compare each and every detail with a fine tooth comb. By then, you'll know exactly what you want, and exactly what you'll get from each machine, which should eliminate any possible doubts still remaining.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 01-22-2001, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

I remember when I was looking at buying my 500, all my co-workers had Honda's 450's. I mentioned looking at Arctic Cats to them and I got a lot of grief. I priced the 450es (this was before the Rubicon was a reality). It was higher than the 500 auto. I showed one of the Honda owners how I could get more features for less money with the AC. He said "you get what you pay for."

I think I got more than I paid for with the AC, it was a good choice for me. I have had good luck with my machine. If I were to get a 2nd machine, I would have to look at the 300. I think its 3 stage transmission and suspension are its best assets. I would go out and ride them all. Just remember it's your decision to make, and not anyone else's.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

My AC300 4x4 has been extremely durable. I haven't had to fix anything on it. I am pushing 3,000 miles; all I have done is change oil and clean the air filter. I was looking for a air cooled 4x4 with low range, I had it narrowed down to the Bayou 300, King Quad and the Cat. 98 was the first year for the 300 so I was a little skeptical, but I got the Cat. Now, three years later I know I made the correct choice. It has been more durable than my Honda and it is very easy to have true four wheel drive like the King Quad.

Old 01-22-2001, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

im going to get a cat 300 this summer myself i think you cant go wrong with the cat it may only do 40 but wih the suspension you will be able to do 40 on a bumpy road when your friends on a rancher and kodiak will have to slow down and you will have a much better mud machine with cat 300... get the cat

Old 01-22-2001, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

We have 4 AC 300s in the neighborhood. All are good, reliable machines. The ONLY gripe anyone had so far was that the CV boot guards were small, and could be bent if hit by something just right in such a way as to cut the boot. This is easily cured by aftermarket plastic guards (the originals were metal with a SHARP edge), and from what I have seen of the new ones, AC has cured the problem as well.
The triple range is a very handy feature, and 2 of the guys used to drive Hondas and say they won't go back.

I think your Honda - driving buddies don't want you to get an AC because it isn't a Honda more than for any other 'real' reason.
PS from what I have seen, the Cat gets all 4 wheels on the ground in uneven terrain better, has gears matched better for any situation (thanks to hi-med-low range), rides better, and will even outrun the Honda 300 4x4s I have seen.
Also, the Honda's take half a county just to turn around.
Not to badmouth Honda, I have one & can't complain about it, but don't think for one minute it is the best machine for every person in every situation.

Quick Reply: Durability of the Arctic Cats