Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need Help Badly AC 300 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Badly AC 300 4x4

Hello Newby with serious problem

About 2 weeks ago I was riding for about 10 min. in my yard nothing hard core just putting around. Following this I topped off the fuel. Yesterday I went out to do the same. Initially The wheeler wouldn't start like it was out of Fuel. I went to Check the Fuel On/Off switch and found I had left it On ( I know DUMB) Anyway I did get it to start and started to have fuel blowing out of the Crank case vent tube. After some examination I noted that the oil which should have been dark, as it was reay for a change anyway, appeared to be clear like new oil. I removed the filler cap and gas mixed with the oil poured out. I also made note that the fuel tank was nearly empty.

I tryied to make this as brief as possible while giving you experts the details. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I ran the wheeler in this condition less than 5 min. I suspect that the float got stuck open and gravity allowed the fuel to empty into the crankcase.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I had this happen on my 04 650. I had the needle and seats replaced and changed the oil and filter. DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR with gas in the oil.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to run this by somebody else to see if this had happened before or if the engine was shot. I only ran it for the short period of time while I was figuring out what had happened. I have since changed the oil and plan on doing it again before I even think about getting the motor very warm.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Most of the parts iside these engines are steel and the housings are cast aluminum. Some parts like the cam just ride on a bearing surface no bearing or anything so when no oil lube is present wear happens almost instantly. I discovered this a couple years ago on my 400. In my case the cam seized up. It eventually restarted but the cam made a tapping noise that made the entire engine sound like a diesel truck.

So I would change that oil and filter a couple 2-3 times before riding it much at all. Oil might be expensive but my top end rebuild cost me over $1000 bucks in parts (I did the labor) and that is a bunch of oil changes even at today's prices.

The other thing I would do is remove and clean you carborator because I quite often leave my fuel valve in the ON position and I have never had that happen. Heck some machines don't even come with an on/off valve. Your float may have some gunk stuck in it.

This ditto's what Catskinner said, change the neede and seats (reffereing to the needle valve in the carb). Make sure you clean the bottom of the air filter housing too as fuel may have ran in there and soaked the air filter as well.

SJ

Old 06-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I picked up a 5 pack of new oil filters, planned on changing it at least 3 times more to make sure that all of the fuel is out of the crankcase. The Gas has a certain amount of lub factor so I'm not too worried about the time it ran with the gas in the crank, But I also don't want to do any major overhaul either. Also planned on a carb rebuild since it looked kinda gunked up anyway. Going to go ahead and change the plug also. Thanks for the air filter call Swampy didn't think about that one.