Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

500 shootout 3&4 wheel action

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Feb. issue automatic shoot out and was supprised to see the Cat auto falling last place. They gave the ruby first then the sportsman,grizzly and toss up between cat and suzuki.
They said it was hard to steer had a puny motor didn't shift into gear very well 2 to 4X4 switch engagement poorly designed.
Do any owners feel this way about their machine from what I have read in this forum the auto cat seems like a very good heavy duty machine good suspension strong load ratings good front diff. nice ride I was thinking of buying this machine in the spring any owners think this mag is on glue for their shootout results let me know.

Old 01-24-2001, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well last year the Bombardier traxter won a shootout by one of the magazines and the Arctic Cat was not available for the test. Then we read where somebody did a shootout between the 2001 Arctic Cat Manual and the Bombardier Traxter XT and the Arctic Cat come out on top. So who do we believe?
Well I've been owning an Arctic Cat 500 for 3 years now, with no regrets. Has been an excellent machine with no break downs and all the power I ever needed. I also pull heavy meat trailers in heavy muddy swamps, and up steep hills at high altitudes, never one problem.
At this point I don't have any people paying me money to say this, so why should I deceive anybody. For my own sake I know what my machine can do in tough situations, compared to the other machines I ride with. If you buy an Arctic Cat you will not have to hang your head down to anybody else.

Old 01-24-2001, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree more with Irichard. My 500 cat is great for what I do. I don't need sporty or overstyled. I need dependable and hard working. Does this mean my 500ac isn't fun. heck no! I do everything just as well as my friends with Honda's and polaris atv's.

Old 01-24-2001, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is yours the auto or manual if it is the auto have you ever slipped the belt do to water riding.

Old 01-24-2001, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is a manual. I have riden with two other people with autos and we've never seen any problems. The solid aluminum cover as opposed to other atvs that use plastic covers is a real benefit. The vent hole is also in a better location. i've been pretty impressed. I wouldn't leave it setting in a river up to the handle bars for a week but that's just common sense.

Old 01-24-2001, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have read 3 different shootout with 3 different winners.But the one you mentioned was a joke compared to the others.The Rubicon had 2 other bikes that out power it and it was the only bike with full time 4wd and drum bakes and it came out on top?Yeh right.

Old 01-24-2001, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

First off-Well said Irichard!

Second,
I'd venture to say that I probably tend to work my AUTO 'Cat harder than any other Auto out there. I now have right at 800 hard working miles, most of which are 4 wheel drive, low range. The last 200 miles or so have been while powering 27" Bi/Tri Claw combo tires, which would drain a lesser machine. As for the belt slippage? Well, I now do a lot more mud riding with the 'Claws that I couldn't do before with the stock tires, as well as water crossings, and deep snow (look at pics below) and have never had a problem. Even towing logs, or our suburban with the trailer hooked up, the belt has performed flawlessly.

I have managed to slip my belt on one occassion though-a few weeks ago now, I drowned my 'Cat in a freezing river, completely under the water, me on top. When we managed to swim the 'Cat back to land, and I tore into it a day later, I had over 2" of water in my tranny, so it's no wonder why it slipped in those conditions. However, AC has a very nice little drain plug that uses a size 12 metric wrench for circumstances just like that. Pull the plug, out the water goes, and you're on your way. Aside from snorkeling (which I have not and will not do) the best way to prevent a belt from slipping-if you doubt the conditions, drop it in 4 wheel, low range and hit the gas. The exhaust alone is enough to keep water out, and you won't have any trouble at all.

While I was in there tearing everything apart after my river experience, I also tore into the tranny and checked the belt over real good. It looks brand new, and identical to my Dad's 'Cat which has a few hundred miles less than mine, and has not done near the work I do with mine. -Dad has a bad habit of letting me do all the work, while he just leisurely rides around. heh heh heh, but at 50, I guess he's entitled to now isn't he?.

As for the magazines, I don't subsrcribe myself, but have seen a couple in the newstands. From what I saw in the two I looked at, as well as from the numerous remarks from nearly all the atv riders in the forum-both utility and sport, it seems like unless you enjoy looking at advertisements, the mags are a waste of money. Seems like which ever manufacturer pays the most for ad's is the one who will win. I've heard this crap about the AC's being underpowered, or having "puny" engines for entirely too long now. It's all hogwash. The Suzuki engine (493 cc) in the 500 'Cats in probably one of the best, time proven, engines out there next to Honda in reliablity. Does it lack in power? Hell no! Speed-yeah, if that's your thing, get a Grizz, or SPHO instead, the 'Cats are not the fastest by any means. But, they are geared lower, and have higher torque numbers than the rest. Now, which equates to power in this case-hp or torque? The mags will say HP is the POWER of the quad, and depends on how fast it will go. If this is the case, then AC will probably wind up in last place, as I said before, they are not the fastest. But, when it comes to power to the ground, and the actual power that it takes to perform real work, torque is what you're after. After what I've done with my Auto 'Cat, basically, if I can't pull it, I should really have a tractor instead-that's all there is to it.

Arctic Cat builds very tough, reliable Utility quads, full of added features for comfort and ease of use and maintenance. They are not only very tough machines, but dependable and very smooth to ride as well. I'd throw those mag reviews in the trash, that's basically what they are anyway.

Best of luck and happy trails,

Mike

Old 01-24-2001, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I've read that shoot-out and it's a joke. They drag race on pavement, measuring fastest time. They pull weights on concrete, measuring fastest time - not pulling limit. They drag race in low range and again measure fastest time, knocking down the bike with the lowest gears. They rate them on their ability to jump and do wheelies. But they will only give the factory spec'd rack limits because they could be liable if they recommnended something not sanctioned by the manufacturer. Duh?
It's time the mags got rid of the race-oriented testers and did some real-world utility testing.

Old 01-24-2001, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

My AC500 belt slipped one time so far. I was riding fast in some muddy water about a foot deep. The dealer told me that water must have splashed into the tranny vent?? Not sure how that much water could have splashed in there. No more problems with it since that day.

Very happy with the power, suspension, and four wheel drive system.

Old 01-24-2001, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Is there such thing as a Puny 500 motor?It kinda like saying "a skinny fat lady".

Quick Reply: 500 shootout 3&4 wheel action