Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 V2 650 NO POWER

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 V2 650 NO POWER

I have a motorcycle/atv shop and took in some work on a "blown up" v2 650. It had no compression, all the valves were bent. In short we completely rebuilt the top end and replaced the following:

Valves and guides, 11:1 Wiseco Piston/Rings, both cam chain tensioners, primary chain tensioner, water/oil pump tensioners, cam chains, water/oil pump chain, primary chain & sprocket & shaft, spark plugs.

When assembling followed the manual to a "T" to ensure proper ignition timing with magneto and cam timing with chains and primary shaft etc..

When completed and assembled went to start it for the first time and it fired right up. Idled great and seemed to rev strong but would hit a low rev limit. Noticed the belt light was on and learned about limp mode and reset the belt indicator.

Engine runs better and revs at least 2 times higher but something is not right. Started playing with the choke to see if maybe a carb problem and can get it to rev real high while messing with choke and gently opening throttle. So I pulled the carbs off and did a thorough cleaning, even the air cut off valves.

Put back together and runs maybe a little better but still seems to sputter, bog, and bang as you try to get into upper mid & high rpms. As playing with the choke still made it rev higher it seems like its running out of fuel or is really lean. Checked fuel pump and fresh gas, all good to go.

At this point I pulled the carbs back off and checked the jetting. Here is what I found: Front 142 main, Rear 138 main. Checked that against the manual and it says it should 122 mains in both. So I got a couple of 122's and put them in. Still not any noticeable difference. I do not know if the needles are factory or not though they appear to be as they are not adjustable.

For fun I pulled intake tube from the first air box (on radiator) and with engine running opened the throttle (with typical symptoms described above) and gave a quick shot of starting fluid to the air box and it revved real big, as if it is starving for fuel. This happens with either jetting setup. I even ran a set of 132 mains for fun, every time I get the same result.

Has anyone ever run into this before? Can someone verify proper jetting for the 05 V2 650? Is it possible that I am dealing with a faulty cdi or ignition module?

Tomorrow I am going to pick up a Stage 1 Moose Jet Kit as to ensure that I have all matching jets and needles. This is supposed to be fully compatible with stock or modified setups.

Assuming I have assembled the engine properly, the timing (cam & magneto) is correct, and the carbs have been cleaned properly; does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be helpful at this point.

I'm convinced it is an improper jetting/needle setup and/or a fault ignition or cdi module.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it popping out the intake or exhaust? Intake is usually lean exhaust is usually rich. Don't waste the money on a jet kit. If it seems lean then try a #4 brass washer that you can get a Lowes or Home Depot. I don't know what the AC jetting usually runs but I would think that you are still too lean. Does it have a K&N and/or aftermarket exhaust? If so try some 145 mains with 1 #4brass shim under each needle. Also make sure you didn't kink the fuel line when you put it back togther. I've done that and ran the bowls dry. If any of this dosen't help then post on Kawieriders.com The guys over there are kings of the Kawie V Twins which is what you've got. I know someone over there can help you.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stock Air Box, Moose Foam Filter, It does spit back sometimes. It definitely has out of the front cyl but occasionally does the rear too.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's spitting out the carbs then it's gasping for more fuel. If it's out the exhaust then it's pushing out too much fuel. Are you absolutely sure you put the cams in right. It almost sounds like they may be in 180* off. If they are it'll still run but not have any power. Have you tried another cdi yet? Are the weiscos stock bore pistons?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wiseco Pistons are 1.0 MM over bore. I'm sure the cams are correct, they have two marks that line up with the surface of the head and an arrow that points up when it is on TDC. I have not tried another CDI.

I would like to try another CDI but can not seem to find one with out buying one.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Another test you should run before going to far is if your getting enough fuel flow or pressure from your pump, if its starving for fuel the more you rev it, it could be related to your pump.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

I had a lean condition w/ my 500 once and what i found was a small hole in the vaccum line that runs from the fuel pump to the intake boot between the carb and head. It was popping and wouldn't idle very well. Pump wasn't working right and it was also sucking air throught the hole and causing to run really lean. Fixed the hole and runs like new! Hope this helps!!!!