Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2006 AC 500 TRV rear foot brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 AC 500 TRV rear foot brake

Hello,

Had a situation where I was experiencing a grinding noise every time I used rear foot brake. After having chance to pull right rear wheel, I found that the MOUNTING BOLTS which secure the caliper to the bracket HAD COME OUT. The caliper rode around just fine until brakes were used then the caliper was thrown against the inside of the wheel, scarring it pretty bad. Talking to dealer service writer, appears to be a common problem, since AC is now providing bolts with Loc-Tite already on the threads for the replacements. Just wondering if anyone else has evperienced this problem, damages that you had, and repairs made by dealer or yourself. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard of it before on another site. Many have said that its very important to make sure you have loctite on the bolt so they dont back out. Only heard one other incident in a stock bike. Others never secured with loctite after servicing.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 06 500 (non TRV) and I was hearinig a little squeeling noise from the rt rear and when I pulled the tire off, guess what the same thing......little loctite and good to go...what a saftey issue though. Would have liked to been notified that this is could be an issue... They certainly call you when you don't make a payment...but a saftey issue does not need any communication at all...go figure...

Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

When I read your problem, I got to thinking that since I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 500 TRV (Big Red) which I love to ride, that I might have a similar problem. So, to be on the safe side, I checked and sure enough, I had to tighten the assembly (after the addition of Loctite of course). Thanks for the message.

Also, has your 500 ever given you a problem stalling shortly after starting? Mine does about 1 out of 20 starts and I can not find the reason. When it does stall, it's usually about 30-45 seconds after starting, and if I try to throttle it out of a stall, it pops, then stalls. I then have to wait for several hours to get it to start again, and then it's fine. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bobpo, I believe you have an electric choke. They are known to act goofy. Check your wiring and make sure you have voltage to it. You might want to clean the choke with carb cleaner while you're at it.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Hefty Lefty,

I actually replaced the electronic choke last year for the same reason and that apparently did not do the fix. I recall that this seems to happen more frequently in the evening after I have let "Big Red" sit a while. Then, when I decide to put it away, it will start fine. I let it run for a minute or so and most times, I have no problem. BUT, like I mentioned, about 1 out of 20 starts, after it begins to warm up, I will hear the engine start to slow down and then begin to stall. If I give it a little throttle, it starts to sputter then stalls. It is at this point that I get my wife (of 47+ yrs) out of the house and onto the 1964 EZ-GO golf cart and she pulls me back to the shop where I let Big Red sit for the night. The next morning it starts and runs just fine.

I have heard that this could also be a vapor lock situation, but I think that would be a fuel line heat problem and that the fuel line would have to be insulated. I am going to insulate the line just to eliminate this possibility.

I will check for voltage to the choke and then also clean the carb good.

Thanks for the advise, I will let you know how all this comes out.

Bobpo

Old 08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bobpo,
I have not experienced the stalling problem you have described. Other than the brake problem and the infamous electronic fuel gage problem, I am satisfied with my ride. They are telling people wit fuel gage problems to use Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner one or two times to clean the contacts on the sending unit. Three times on mine without any real change, so I guess it will go to warranty repair and sit three weeks for nothing.