Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Shock Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Info

Ok guys and gals I need a little help. I am looking for some measurements on some stock shocks on Arcic Cat ATV's. I need these off a Prowler, 400, 500, and a 650.

What I need is Free length (the length of the shock of is was unbolted and removed from the machine OR measured W/O any weight on the machine).
The Compressed length (the length of the shock when compressed by weight). Also if you can note the bolt size.

Free length =
Compressed length =
bolt size =

Thanks in advance
SJ

Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shock Info

Update here, I believe my AC 400's front and rear shocks are 15.5 in free length and an 11.5 inch compressed length which gives something around 4in of travel. They are pretty tore up so I am not 100% sure they are accurate.

I amlooking to replace them with something other than stock. I have found a set of 512 progressive shocks that are really close (probably the same length within a few millimeters).

But, I have been told you can replace the stock shocks on a 400 or 500 with those from a 650 or prowler but can't find any specifications on them at all.

SJ

Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Shock Info

Could you stop by a dealers?
Tell them you are wanting to buy some shocks and needed to measure a prowler.
Would only help you with free length...
YOu can go to one of the online parts places and see what ones are the same part number.
I was thinking the 400 thru 650 were all the same.
Might try the question at Highlifter too.
Just a thought.

BTI

Old 10-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shock Info

I am taking all 4 shocks to the dealer tomorrow. Problem is both my rear shocks are in pieces. Only thing left fully intact is the High lifter HD springs! The shocks are tatered so bad I am not sure if my measurements are accurate. The dealer will order a stock shock for my machine for me to measure but if I don't want it then I have to pay to ship it back!

So I am taking mine in and with paper and pencil in hand I hope to measure a few of their machines. One thing I did notice was the front and rear shocks on my 400 are different diameters. I assume this means they are rated for different weights.

I do know aftermarket shocks will run me about $500 but to replace with stock is about $200. I am just trying to see if I can get a little bit heavier duty shock (to go with my HD springs) without damaging the axle or CV by letting it have too much or not enough travel.

I honestly did not think that there was this much involved in replacing the shocks. But I can say that I am learning a bunch about the shocks, CV's and the suspension.

SJ

Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Shock Info

The nice thing about the stock shocks is that you can replace just what you need.
I'm in the same boat only in a different way.
I have a TRV coming, I want to go to the shocks that set it back to where it should be.
The TRV's come with a little shorter shock to make it sit lower and be more stable.
I want my GC back. I can buy just the springs and shock bodies then reuse everything else.
I'll have around 70 per shock invested.

BTI

Old 10-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shock Info

BTI,

Yeah I noticed the lengths of the TRV shocks. Theya re 1 inch shorter than on my 400 or my friends 500 but they are slightly larger diameter. So I am assuming they are rated for more weight.

Front shocks are the same length on the 400, 500 and the TRV. Since the front and rear are the same length on a 400 and they both bolt onthe same I may just put rear shocks all the way around. I think this will allow me to stiffen up the front suspension some and slightly increase the pay load. I may try it and see how it effects the handling.

I am now leaning towards stock shocks so I can reuse my Highlifter springs. I am going to have to go back to the dealer in a few days when another Prowler comes in. He seemed pretty sure they had the same bolt up pattern but were much more heavy duty than what was on a 400 or 500.

I will let you know what I find out.
SJ

Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Shock Info

Never thought of using the rears all around sounds like a good idea to gain some capacity.
I'd be happy with non-TRV Ground Clearance

BTI

Old 11-20-2008, 09:53 AM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Shock Info

Swampy-Do you still need free lengths etc?
I just bought a new set of 2007 TBX Shocks for the TRV.
I need to assemble them, So I can measure if you still need the info.

BTI

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shock Info

My dealer only had a AC400 and a AC500 instock so I was not able to measure all I wanted. I need to go back because he now has new inventory in. I think he has a T-cat, 650 and a Prowler now. So If you have them I would greatly appreciate them.

I also came across a "redneck" fix for spring sag. I believe they call it the "hockey puck cure". I guess you take a regulation hockey puck, put it in the freezer over night, then drill a hole in the middle of it about 1.25 inches in diameter. Take your existing shock a part and slide the puck down over the shock until it come up against the spring adjustment cam. Reinstall the spring and it is now "pre-loaded" in additionto the adjustments on the cam-adjuster. It can give you about 1" in addition height back from spring sag.

It won't work if your shocks are already shorter, as the case with the TRV. I assumed the TRV and the TBX had the same shocks so I am curious to see if they are.

Right now I am just looking for a cure for my load sag on my TRV and to replace the broken shocks on my 400. My 400 is so bad that when I sit on it (near 300lbs) my rear tires rub and it feels like I am driving up a hill all the time as the front is way up in the air.

Thanks in advance BTI.

Swampy

Old 11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
BTI
Trailblazer
Default Shock Info

I have seen the HP cure it works to remove the sag.
The TBX's are the same length shock as the other non-TRV quads but, they are supposed to be progressive.
Here is the link I used to figure out what stock shocks I wanted to buy-
Ground Clearance Comparison
Gonna go measure and put them together right now.

BTI

Quick Reply: Shock Info