Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Replacing leaky muffler with Silencer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing leaky muffler with Silencer?

Hi guys,

I have a leak in my existing muffler and I think attempting to patch it would not last very long. So I have decided that I would replace it. I would like to know if there is a replacement muffler that is quieter than the OEM? I have seen silencers that are bolted on to the existing muffler, but I since I have to replace the muffler, I would prefer the replacement to be a silencer and muffler in a single unit.

Any advice?

Dennis

Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

You may consider using a simple expansion chamber prior to the muffler. Cut a few inches off the end of the header pipe and expand the existing 1 inch exhaust to two inches or so then bring it back down to 1 inch to couple with the muffler.

You can probably get the hardware at an automotive or muffler store. All you are basically doing is creating a bubble in your tail pipe prior to the muffler - expansion chamber. If I were to do it I probably would make it about 6 to 8 inches long.

You could also pack it with an extremely course steel mesh (steel wool), or crumple up some chicken wire and stuff it in there prior to assembly. Or use a glob of copper wire. You don't want it to melt or burn up, or rust and you don't want it to blow out. My friend has the ideal thing it looks like a coarse steel wool but made out of copper and he uses it to clean his soldering iron instead of a wet sponge.

Anyway it is an idea and maybe a project for you to consider.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks buckaroo50. That will be a great idea if I had a good stock muffler. However, the original muffler is starting to fall apart so I plan on replacing my stock muffler anyways. So instead of putting in a new muffler AND modification fo silencing, I would like to have a new muffler that is quieter.

Do you guys use something in place of your stock that is quieter?

Another option for me is just to go with a regular muffler. Do you guys know of a place to get a cheap OEM or compatible muffler? The dealer's price is like close to CAD$300.00 with taxes!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

You might check with the automotive store for a small car muffler. Might need a small reducer but there are some cars with very small exhaust pipes that may come close. Might be able to jerry-rig one for less than $100.

I thought at one time of building one out of stainless steel and building my own baffles with plates inside with a bunch of drilled holes.