Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New Engine Break-in????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Break-in????

I brought home a new AC 250 yesterday, it had just under 2 hrs on it, and the tech just told me to take it easy for the first 10 hours to break it in, then bring it in for the first service after 10 hours. The owners manual says to not use more than 1/2 throttle for the first 10 hours and to vary the engine RPM. Is this all I need to do?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

You are going to get all kinds of advice on this as someone has posted this same thread previously. Some will tell you to ride it new like you intend to ride it all the time, "ride it like you stole it" and variations in between. There is even a website I am sure someone will present showing a full bore approach that is backed up with research. I have broken in dirt bikes, street bikes, ATV's, a Rhino, bass boats, cars and trucks. I ALWAYS do exactly as recommended by the manual as it is the result of millions of dollars of Research and Development and they know their machine and its parameters better than anyone. They want you to be a satisfied return customer and I believe if there was a better way to break it in, they would tell you. Of course this is only one of many opinions you will get and you will have to decide what is best for you. I am breaking in a new Grizzly 700 right now. Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Makes sense to me. Many thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

yup thats the best way to do it i was told both by the dealer and the manual on my rubicon to keep moving the throttle between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle don't ham on it dont just let it sit and idle. . . 20hours or 100miles. . .then set valves change oil n filter. . .

i ran mine that way flushed out the break in oils than put in Amsoil ran the amsoil half a service interval serviced it again and am now running full serive intervals on motor/trans half serive amsoil in diffs than full service there after. . . Amsoil has some high powered cleaners so if the machine is to have the oil changed every 600miles i change the first round of amsoil at 300 miles... i do that to make sure its fully flushed out and clean. . .

so fare my rubie is at 1100 miles runing great. . . I'm a proud suporter of Honda and Arctic Cat brand's. . . they last a good long time tho adding Amsoil will ensure a long and healthy life span. . .

my sugestion would be is as each part is broken in and due for service replace the fluids with amsoil. . .

mikey