Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat expertise needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arctic Cat expertise needed

Hi. I'm helping a buddy fix his '05 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. His rear brakes don't work with the foot pedal. (The hand brake which actuates the brakes on all wheels works fine.) After inspecting the brake pads and fluid level, I suspected it simply needed to be bled, but while trying that, it didn't appear to be "pumping" any brake fluid or air out of the line. My only thought is that the master cylinder isn't working and needs to be replaced.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone know if any other Arctic Cat models use the same master cylinder? Lastly, does anyone have one for sale? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that in 05 they went to a separate master cylinder for the foot brake only. But in any case the foot brake is useless for stopping. I used mine for holding the machine while stopped on inclines but it will not hold on a hill. I could not get it adjusted to where it ever worked. Mine is a mechanical brake (2003 model) and when the pads wore out I removed it all together to get it out of the way of my large clumbsy feet.

I am pretty sure that the newer hydrolic rear foot brakes are nearly as useless as the mechanical ones. In you should not expect the same amount of stopping power from two brake pads compared to 6 pads by using the hand brake. If it was me, as long as the hand brakes work good I would not spend any $ on repairing the foot brake.

SJ

Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's a hydraulic brake and from what I've read, it appears they went to hydraulic in '04. Its caliper is the same size as the other rear caliper that is attached to the hand brake, so it is a pretty good brake when working properly. Plus, it's nice to be able to control the rear brakes seperately when needed. I'm going to fix it for him one way or another, I was just hoping to save him some money. Does anyone know a good source for used Artic Cat parts?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had an issue with the master cylinder not working on a hand brake that we suspected was bad we disconnected the lines to each brake caliper and made sure fluid would squirt out when the handle was pulled. We discovered that there was s clog some how on the line going to the front brakes. There was a single line going down the steering column and then it went through a splittler and it was clogged with something at that ppoint. We blew compressed air on the line and out the line next to each front caliper and then refilled and bled the brakes (very long process) and problem was cured.

I would first checl to see that fluid comes out at the caliper when the pedel is depressed. Then check to make sure the calipers are not rusted into place and will still move. One test or the other should tell you which part nees to be repaired (caliper or master cylinder)

As for cheap part I would suggest the web site as the cheapest place I have found AC parts online http://www.catoemparts.com/ which is a link off of the website http://www.kenssports.com/

Hope this helps
SJ