Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

black sheep: 4 polaris and 1 cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last night we had a little party for my nephew and, of course, included alcohol and atvs. there were a total of 5 atvs present, three sportsman (two 500 and one 335), a magnum 500, and, lastly, my ac. believe me, i felt a little outnumbered. all the polaris boys were able to prove was that their bikes can go faster than mine and that it is a good idea to have at least one rider with a winch. ya see there was a ditch we had been riding in all afternoon, it had very steep and rugged sides. we were crawling through it in low 4 without a problem while it was daylight. when it got dark it was more difficult to choose a crossing point because it was deeper and steeper in some areas. i chose one of those points. as i reached the bottom of the trench i stood my ac on its front grill with all tires off the ground. luckily, my other nephew on a sportsman 500 had a winch and we retrieved the cat with little problem. in conclusion, don't consume alcohol before riding at night because it causes you to do what you would not normally do.

texascat

Old 02-04-2001, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

Hmmmm, bummer, never had a problem!

Old 02-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

"in conclusion, don't consume alcohol before riding at night because it causes you to do what you would not normally do."

I understand you consider your alcohol consumption a contributor to your accident, TEXASCAT (glad you were not injured).

If, as you say, alcohol affects judgment and performance at night, daylight shouldn't make a difference.

An account of a fatal ATV accident involving alcohol and a trial for vehicular homicide, all in broad daylight, appeared recently on the Forum.

Why not shorten your sentence? How about, "Don't consume alcohol before riding."

Diogenes

Old 02-04-2001, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmm... nothing like having someone try to convey the moral of the story after its already been done.

Old 02-04-2001, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

And, nothing like an arrogant, yet careless reader, who may have finally mastered the difference between night and day, but finds it a fine distinction.

I'd suggest you read the preceding posts over in hope you may finally understand them, but don't want to tax either your attention span or cognitive ability.

Diogenes

Old 02-04-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

diogenes,

what i meant was that alcohol and night operation is a lethal combination because you cannot see as good and that you are more uninhibited. during the ordeal, i remained very calm, cool, and collected. plus i was not dead drunk like the rest of the guys at the party, i have my limit and when i reach it i quit. the part of the trench i attempted to cross was approximately 4' wide and 4.5' deep with about 80 degree slopes. like i said we rode that trench all day but when it got dark it was hard to discern the depth of the trench. basically, the lack of light can be blamed for the mishap with alcohol playing only a minor role. i am not a heavy drinker, that night (before 6 pm) i had a total for 4 small cups of the nastiest watered down bud light. then at 11 pm the accident actually happened.

texascat

Old 02-04-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

First: Let me let everyone in on a little secret. 4 cups of any beer would not phase a man the size of TEXASCAT.

Second: When did the morality police show up and crash the party? I thought I was in a Catholic school for a second and someone was going to beat me with a yard stick because I too have consumed some beer and rode my atv.

Third: Texascat, you need to restock the racks in Dickenson. No one had your product. Nice to meet ya too and we need to ride soon.

Dakota R/T

Old 02-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

dakotart,

thank you. dickenson is outside of my territory. my two nephews expressed interest in riding with you as well. as you may already know they are pullaris boys. 2 pullaris + 2 cats = an even match-up. i have tried to get them to join atvconnection but i guess they are afraid of being insulted or topped.

it was nice meeting you in person. have a good week.

ryan

Old 02-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Two 500 cats on two polaris' sounds good to me. I have a basketball tournament this saturday morning but I should be free after that around noon. Hopefully my trailer will come in so I only have to drive one truck for both Cats. Wait...that makes it three cats on two polaris' now. If they weren't chicken before they will be now! Give me a call or an e-mail and we'll make some plans.

Dakota R/T

Old 02-05-2001, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Morality police, dakotart?

Did you think TEXASCAT was acting as the "morality police" when he told of an alcohol-aggravated accident and said, ". . . don't consume alcohol before riding at night . . ."?

Sorry about your trauma with the yardstick beatings at Catholic school, but I think TEXASCAT addressed only safety, not morality, with his anecdote and recommendation.

My suggestion (that alcohol may affect judgment, ability, and safety in the daytime as well as at night) carries no moral judgment either, expressing only an opinion regarding safety.

Diogenes

Quick Reply: black sheep: 4 polaris and 1 cat