Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Fan off switch, and headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do people put in "A Fan off Switch" what does it do. Does it just protect the fan from being on when you are driving though mud and water, I do know that the fan runs all the time, why do they do that. I know my buddie drives though mud and water all the time on his 450ES and the fan still runs. Also is there any way to water proof the headlights. And why aren't the headlights water proofed from the factory, becasue AC knows people are going to drive them in all kinds of stuff
Thanks for you help

Old 02-06-2001, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

I put my fan switch for deep water crossing. I have had a few times where I forgot to turn my fan off and blew a fuse. So I'm thankfull I have it for those times I DON'T forget.

The 450's fan is thremostate controlled so when it hits that cold water it drops the temperature enough to shut the fan off.

I have NO idea about why AC did what they did, All I know is that those lights will HOPEFULLY not be on there for much longer, gonna TRY to mount an HL dual Daylight kit in the place of the factory lights.

Old 02-06-2001, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

I agree the factory lights are crap, mine were full of moisture from new. The reason they went away from the sensor switched fan was because most of the wheelers didn't get ridden hard enough to kick in the fan, and finally when they did the fan wouldn't work because it was full of crap. Also by having it on all the time you eliminate the problem with the sensor going bad. This is what I was told by Arctic. Also somewhere in the owners manual it is recommened not to travel in water over the floorboards, now isn't that a crock.
If you go to the dealer you are now able to buy a automatic reset fuse and a new cover for the fuse panel, just replace the normal fan fuse with the new one, throw the old cover away and use the new taller version. I have been running this setup for most of last summer with no complaints, and no switches to wire in, and forget to turn on. Aczr2k

Old 02-07-2001, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

aczr2k

got a part number for those new resetting fuses and covers? I already know my parts guy at the dealer is going to give me a funny look. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2001, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

boner, if you would be so kind as to direct me to that dual daylight kit. waterproof i presume? thanks......later

Old 02-07-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Could we drill holes in lite covers?,,,water would drain faster. This seems to mimic "waterproof lites on boat trailer". One side goes with completely sealed lites...that works fine unless a rock chips a lens. The other school has water flowing easily in and out...requiring user switching lites on and off,
2001 auto cat 500

Old 02-07-2001, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

What you want to know??? I measured my grill. I an fit 5.5"x4" lights in there with no mods, but any bigger and I will need to add material.

About the lights being waterproof, I think they are. The_law has a single light kit and has sunk is to where you could not see the entire bike like 5 times, and the light kit still does great.

Old 02-07-2001, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

I don't have the number with me, (my wheeler is up at my parents house) but I can call up to Arctic and try to get it tomorrow (thurs) and post it later. Aczr2k

Old 02-07-2001, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

boner. thanx, i thought it was a specific a/m kit for the cat.

Old 02-08-2001, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

That would be great aczr2k. I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Fan off switch, and headlights