Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

BIGGER Battery? Or run 2 Together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIGGER Battery? Or run 2 Together?

WARNING - I TEND TO RAMBLE

First off : I wasn't REALLY planning on turing our TRV into a workhorse. But all the snow we've had so-far (34" & counting...) adding a plow was a necessity.

My electrical system is in overdrive. Due to my daily work schedule I'm finding that MOST of my snow plowing happens in the dark. As a result I added 2 -55watt extra plow lights/small warning beacon/thumb & handwarmers and I run w/my stock headlights on. Oh and did I mention my WINCH?

My TRV when not in use is ON a battery maintainer, and I also have a in-line block htr for easier starts (stored in a cold shed)

I'll get to the point: I'm experiencing a serious LACK of battery amperage available after about 1hr of plowing. (EVERYTHING runs slower, and the lights DIM when operating the winch)
I've looked into a HD battery (for a reasonable price $75-95), but FINDING one that fits the TRV is a bit of a challenge. Even AC's HD battery WON'T fit. (7 1/2" X 6 1/2" X 3 1/2" Max)

My stocker is a acid/liquid type w/about 12AH avail. and rated at 175cca. I'd LIKE to find a battery w/20AH and 275+ cca (cca not really important due to block htr) and I found one on EBay but it's a "no-name brand"

THEN I got's to thinking about running 2 batteries in PARALLEL. hmmmm. So I "rigged" up my spare camper battery (charged seperately)and wired it to my stock AC bat. and set out last wk for a night of plowing. Seemed to help. The lights still "dimmed" and things still ran a bit slower, but nothing drastic

So.......am I temping fate by running 2 batteries, with the outcome being a<u> fried </u>alternator or stator? Or NP if I "normalize" the size(s) so they are the same? (12volt is 12volt - but a CAR & ATV bat???)

Or does anybody have a HD battery suggestion?

Pics? Ideas?

Thanks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 03 500 TRV and plow snow all winter with it and I have not had an issue like this. I also have a custom fabricated light bar for plowing with two 55watt halogen lights on it. I can park my machine outside overnight and then start it and plow for 4-6hrs no problems.

I do not have the hand warmers but I suspect that assuming your charging system is pumping out the correct amount of juice, (check to make sure) you have too much load on the battery with the winch, handwarmers, stock lights, plow lights, and safety light.

I would be curious to see if the problem occurs if you only use the winch and stock lights? Also have you left items off and only used the winch to see if the problem persists and slowly added one other thing at a time?

As far as adding an additional battery, I would guess that if you make the charging system work harder you will shorten its lifespan. I know of others who have had difficulty with their charging systems once they add on additional electrical components after a winch.

SJ

Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

The alternator is putting out 14.6 volts (normal) at the battery when running. THe stock bat. sits at 12.9- 13.3 volts (normal) when not running.

I have the same concern about 2 batteries, overtaxing my charging sys, and thus shortening it's life. An HD bat. is the angle I'm leaning towards.......I just can't FIND one.

I'll turn down the handwarmers to low next time out, and shut off the shock headlights. Looks like up to 7" of yet MORE snow on Thurs/Fri, so I'll see what happens if I don't find a Bat. before then.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well I went to my AC dealer today and he just got a shipment of AC HD batteries in. It fits and has close to the AH requirements I need without running 2 batteries.

The $95 price tag was a BIG ouch, but not out of line with a few others in the $85-110 range.

5-7" more snow predicited for tomorrow.......so the timing was right.

later

Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know you just bought your new battery, but l wanted to let you know about a friend of mine who took a deep-cycle marine battery and wired it directly to his winch with a quick connect plug. During heavy winch usage, like plowing, he uses that battery just bungee-corded on his rack. When he is thru, he places it on charge overnight. When he has the winch connected to the ATV battery system, the regular battery handles the usage requirements without any problem. I bought a new plow, and we haven't had enough snow to even pin it on my TRV, send some my way (WV).

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

I was still considering doing just that. I just didn't want my big truck battery sitting up front. Still an option though.

On the ?? side the new battery didn't fit. The dealer gave me the WRONG one. - DOUGH!!

So I went in thismorning and we discovered that AC's HD battery for the TRV is actually the battery for the PROWLER.

So he order one, and pulled another out of a unit he had in cold storage. I should be able to pick it up later today after they charge it.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Well I'm back to square 1 !

The other battery from AC - IT DOESN'T FIT EITHER!

So the dealer gave me a refund, and I went out and took an extended lunch & bought the proper 6 gauge battery cables and hooked up my spare truck bat set-up. + to + and grounded to the frame (planning ahead on this one...)

My dealer suggested getting a garden tractor battery ($22 Walmart) and a small battey box and hook the whole set up UNDER the rear seat. There's actually a "plate" of sorts tha the rear A-Arm(s) bolt to that's got just enough room to run a bat 5 1/2 X 10 w/bat box. So all the cables are run so it's a relatively easy swap so I can get rid of my BIG truck bat sitting on the rear plastic.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

How close to the exhaust is the place youare mounting the battery? There is quite a bit of heat coming off the engine and exhaust so I wouldn't want you to melt wires or the battery.

Do you have room on your front rack for the battery? I have a 30inch chunk of Train Rail as a counter weight on my rear rack on my 400 and with the weight of the blade on the front it runs great. No traction issues. My TRV I do not add any additional weight other than my daughters sometimes ride with me while I plow.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

First off I think the TRV is one of the greatest ATVs built. The frame is really strong and yet flexs when need be.

I built a 60" plow for my 2004, 500 auto TRV which I bought new. I have been out on it most of the day as it has not quit snowing for 3 days. We have about 12" or so on the ground. I am going to get in the truck and plow this evening after this stuff stops. I can turn the heat on, listen to the radio and have a hot cup of coffee at the same time.

BUT (Rambler) (you might have noticed I tend to ramble too) tonight, I'll get on the snowmobile and ride on some of the best Powder we've had in years. 2 AC Cougars, also bought new in '96.

As for your electrical problem, I have only stock headlights and no hand warmers. (I'm thinking of getting a pair tho) The headlights dim when I lift the blade with the winch. Other than that, they're fine. In fact I still have the original 2004 (stock) battery. I do a lot of the plowing at night too. But I don't have to, I've been retired almost 17 years, I just like to plow at night.

Good Luck, ride safe.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: swampyjunior

How close to the exhaust is the place youare mounting the battery? There is quite a bit of heat coming off the engine and exhaust so I wouldn't want you to melt wires or the battery.</end quote></div>

I decided to remove the rear seat and mount a smaller "wal-mart special" garden tractor battery in a bat box. I bought all 6 gauge wire and a rubber floormat for everthing to sit on and tarp straps to hold everything in place. I DID have to drill out the water drain hole just behind the driver's seat to run the wire thru.
My bat(s) are hooked up parallel w/o an isolator with the + hooked directly together and both - to the TRV frame.
The wires run out of the stock bat box thru holes already in the plastics and up over the frame above the exhaust heat shield (all zip-tied tightly to secure them) to the drilled out water drain hole...then connect to the 2nd bat.

I did connect my bat maintainer wires as follows : + to bat 1 and - to bat 2. That way as far as the 1.5v maintainer is concerned it's just 1 big battery. I also made sure that BOTH bat(s) were fully charged and at 13.3 volts BEFORE I hooked them together. (no bat leaching)

I've run the set-up yesterday for over an 1hr doing some "clean-up" plowing with NP. But no lights. When I put the TRV away and plugged in the bat maintainer the "charge" light came on for about 10sec. then went out and the "full charge" grn light came on.

My problem is that I too mainly plow at night, thus it's DARK and it's COLD - and NOT just my driveway. We got 11" of snow last Fri, and I plowed for for close to 10hrs (made $125!!) getting my neighbors out - and they'll pay me to do it everytime it snows.
This 2-Battery setup is strictly for winter plowing only. I'll go back to just the stock bat in the spring to get the rear seat back on.

I know there's lots of debate about a parallel set-up and the inherent problems of having a bad battery causing all sorts of issues with charging sys, bat leaching etc.
IMHP my need for all my accessories is self-explanitory - I'm meticulous in my set-up and how things are wired properly. The bottom line is that I'll cook my stock bat at this rate and I need MORE capacity/amps. AND my dealer told me that I need to do something due to AC NOT making a bigger bat to fit the TRV, and recommended 2 Bat(s). Plus his AC techs gave me the pointers of how to set it up.
NOW......I'll cross my fingers and hope to god I don't fry something.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Oh 4" more inches of snow today w/blizzard warning and 6-10" MORE expected thru Wed. - Gotta luv ND winters........

Quick Reply: BIGGER Battery? Or run 2 Together?