Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Replacing wheel bearings on IRS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing wheel bearings on IRS

Anyone done this? I need to replace both sets on my 02 500i, and looking at the bearing carrier, it's not at all obvious how you get the old one out.

Is this a press fit? Looks like it, but so far I can't see any sort of ridge that would indicate which direction you push the bearing to get it out.

BTW - I had to pretty much destroy the lower bolt to get that upright out, the bolt was corroded in place.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Yes its a press fit. Ive replaced 9 wheel bearings on my 02 500. I used to do ALOT of mudding, but im done with that. Im not very good at explaing things like this but ill try. Once you get the hub off set it in a vice. you dont need to hold it just set it in it so you can knock out the bearing. Heres what i use, first get a small flat head screw driver and take out the rubber seals on both sides then remove the octagon shaped ring holding the bearing on. then with a 34mm socket( its about the same size as the bearing), i set it on the bearing and hit it with a hammer to knock it out. it may take a bit of hard hitting to get it out. NOTE, make sure the whole bearing comes out, ive had the outer piece of the bearing get stuck and stay on while the rest fell out. You will know if its out or not when you put it back together,it wont go on. Im only saying this b/c it looks like its part of the hub but its not. Once its all out, i use a rubber mallet to start knocking the new one in. Once its in a little bit, i put it in the vice using a 2x4 so it dont damage the bearing( use the mallet if necasary.) once its pressed all the way in put the ring back on and your seals, your done. I know i didnt explain this the best way,its just hard to do unless im looking at it. It takes about 30 min once you do it a time or 2. Oh ,use wd40 to help it slide out and make sure to clean everything. Maybe, once you get started you will see what im talking about. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well johnO, did you try to tackle the bearing? If you need me to clearify something, just ask and i will do my best.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

gotcha - the weather has me shut down on mechanics right now.

What happened - I knew the rear bearings were getting weak, they did pretty well for hauling trailer loads of cut oak firewood for six years. The right side one self destructed, and mucked up the carrier pretty good, apparently enough to pop the snap ring out. Replaced that with a new carrier that came with bearing installed, now I have to do the left side.

What I didn't know about was the snap ring - that tells me which direction to drive the bearing. I've used an air hammer to drive them out before, usually use, like you said, a large socket to drive the new one in. I've used a 2x4 to cushion the bearing, and a brass mallet to do the driving.

Got to fix the old Cat for sure now. Even though the dealer offered me a killer deal on a new 700 Cruiser, the money just isn't there, and I'm not borrowing money on anything if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks - this shouldn't take very long. Dang, I have some trees to clear up after the ice storm, too.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I have used a large socket a chunk of wood and a floor jack to press the bearing into place instead of driving it with a hammer. I used the hitch on the back of my truck to press against. I usually soak the old bearing with Penetrating oil like WD-40 overnight before I remove the old one. Then make sure to clean everything VERY good and grease it up to reinstall.