Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Snow this, snow that, What about dirt???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed alot of snowplow post lately and it has gotten me interested in getting a plow for my Cat. Not for snow, but for dirt. I could use it to clean up the trails, do yard work, and back fill plumbing ditches for my dad's company.

60" would be way over kill for this kinda work, so don't even try to get me to get that.

I would like to know what you guys think I could push with my stock Titian 495s, cause thats what I will probaly use on the job sites(they already have about 15 nail holes in them, claws only have a stick threw a lug).

The dirt is gonna be a heavy, thick, sticky, wet, "black jack" kinda mud most of the time, but I will probaly be pushing sandy, dry dirt on the trails and gravel around my house.

So what you guys think?? 42?46?48?50? what else they have out there?

Old 02-11-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Boner,

My first test of the Moose was backfilling a trench. The dirt was frozen so it took a little work to break it loose but after that I was very impressed with the plows ability to push dirt around. With thick Gumbo type mud, I would imagine it would kinda be a pain sticking to and building up on the plow, but any size of plow would probably get the job done. I found that my plow was a little light, sometimes it would just hop over the dirt rather than dig in & start pushing (being frozen might have had something to do with that). I think you will probably have to tighten up the springs a little for dirt/mud. The type of plowing you are talking about has much more resistance than just pushing snow. I would definetly get a Moose brand, they are sooooo tough.

Lance

Old 02-11-2001, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot, but what other sizes do you know about besides the 60"?? 60" is just to big for my needs. What is the next smallest size?

Old 02-11-2001, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember right, Moose makes a 50" & a 60" blade. Considering your stock wheels & tires are what 46"-47" wide, I wouldn't go smaller than the 50". Anything smaller, you'll be running over what you've been plowing (especially if you angle the blade). I think I remember seeing another plow 46" or 48" wide (cycle country I believe) but why bother going smaller, your cat can handle the 50".

Lance

P.S. I believe you can see the Mooses at www.parts-unlimited.com

Old 02-11-2001, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

I used my Moose 50" plow in a pinch once to level and spread some dirt for some landscaping. I would usually use my tractor for this, but the area was too steep and not enough room to manuever. This was hard, sticky clay - pretty hard to push around. The plow and Cat did better than I expected. It took a lot of grunt from the Cat, but it got done. Actually bent the connecting pins between the bottom mount and push tube in the process.

I'd say the plow would work good for pushing in windrow from a trencher. Backfill from a backhoe bucket could be another story, though.

Old 02-12-2001, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well my dad's Bobcat 328 excovator(Aka my jack) does have a blade, but it does not move except for up and down movement. So useing it to level our gravel parking lot is impractical for that reason, not to mention it's top speed is about 3.5 mph(IF THAT MUCH).

I would mainly use it to back fill trenches from small trenches and level the trails we have at our camp.

Thats another reason I don't want a 60 plow, our trails are VERY narrow and the 60" plow would simply not fit.