Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I need more help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need more help PLEASE!!!

First of all, thanks for the help so far, but I need more!!! My 2006 650 v2 Runs terrible when it gets warmed up. It misses, spits and sputters, and won't hardly run. I replaced the choke cable, stretched the springs, and lubed the choke cable before I put it in. The machine is still doing the same thing. I am lost. It runs great when it is cold, but as soon as it gets warm and the fan starts running, it runs terrible. Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to atv world but not new to working on different modes of transportation...Why did you have to mess with the choke? Did someone suggest this already? Sounds like to me the choke is still staying partially on even though you have the lever all the way off...not sure how ya adjust it on your particular model...if it is not that then maybe it needs carbs cleaned or adjusted...mught try some seafoam in it first....well I think the regulars and experienced atvers will be able to help you better than I....good luck and keep me posted...happy trails Maine

Old 03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

I replaced the choke cable because I thought the chokes were sticking because of suggestions. I have tried to adjust the cable, and that doesn't help. Sea Foam was my next step, but from there, I don't know what to do.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have tinkered with machines all my life and have ridden a few atvs but just purchased my first machine which is an 06 650 v-twin Brute Froce sra ....I have not worked on it yet because it only has 200 miles on it...anyways...I am looking into a service manual...they can be helpful in showing how to do simple things but often leave ya hanging on major things...anyways...I do know that if you have some miles on your machine you may need the valves adjusted...that can make them run rich and make a machine run shitty...but where you say yours runs kinda okay when cold and then shitty when warm makes me want to lean towards the choke..cable...set up? I am not sure how they are set up even on my own machine...but I do know that some of the pro riders in here have mentioned it to others who have brutes...not sure again if this is your problem but I hope it is something simple for ya...happy trails....Maine

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Range Rover

Try arcticchat.com lots of v2 knowledge on there

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Trailblazer

It only has 250 miles on it. I have the same post on arcticchat also. It runs GREAT until it gets warm. I need to check and see if it starts exactly the same time that the fan kicks on. It doesn't gradually start to run badly, it does it right now! It may be electrical, like the voltage regulator if it is caused by the fan kicking on. Anybody have any knowledge on that?

Old 03-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer

You could also disconnect the fan wires just for a little while and see if it continues to run ok.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

check for air leaks,may run lean when choke is off

Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, I replaced the plugs, added sea foam, and pulled the fan fuse when it kicked on, and still the same problem. Sea foam has not had much of a chance to work yet, I just added it, but it is not related to the fan kicking on. Also, it will sit and idle just fine, but when I try to move, it stalls. And when I even pull the choke lever on a little, it won't even idle.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

Any time my wheelers spit and sputter or backfire or have difficulty running with the choke on/off I pull the carb and clean it real good , check the vent tubes on the fuel tank, clean the choke and throttle plunger and the problem goes away. If problem persisted after this I would check for air leaks around the carb intake. A can of wd-40 is all you need. Spray it lightly around the carb while engine is running. If there is an air leak it will suck it into the engine and the RPM's will change.

I have also read about voltage regulator issues causing quirky electrical/engine issues. Like "engine only runs fine with the lights on" and such. Might want to look there eventually since you have an electric choke.

But, due to the high quality of fuel we get these days, I would start with cleaning the carb.

Your plug color will tell you if is running rich, black sooty plug (usually too much fuel) OR lean, white colored plug (too much air not enough fuel). My guess is since it sounds like you have been driving it with the choke on your plug is black and your carb is running rich.

SJ