Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

synthetic oil...good or bad??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just changed my oil in my cat and i used castrol syntec 10w-40. i tried to cross reference the oil filters but ended up using the original ac after all. the filters from fram and wix had coarser threads but were otherwise identical. my dealer said using the synthetic oil would NOT void my warranty and it would make the engine run 10 degrees cooler. i hope my dealer didn't just say that so i would void my warranty.

i have also noticed a little oil like substance coming from the junction of my rear diff and the drive shaft. remember i stood the cat on its front rack a week ago. is that the cause or is it something more drastic.

texascat

Old 02-12-2001, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

TEXASCAT, i have heard some very good things about the synthetic oils. the only bad thing i have been told is that somtimes the synthetics makes seals shrink a bit. this may be what is causing the seepage. i dont know this first hand but it is what i was told when i went to automechanics school a few years ago. i do hope this is not the case and like i said i dont have any first hand experience with synthetics. worst comes to worst if the seal is under warenty take it to the dealer and have him fix it.

Old 02-12-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

hey man thanks for the reply but i noticed the leakage before i changed the oil. i know the engine and the tranny use the same oil but the rear diff has its own oil reservior, doesn't it??

texascat

Old 02-13-2001, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

The Fram replacement is a PH6018. I have cut one open and it is an exact copy of the AC filter. Just $4.00 cheaper. The rear end and front end both have their own fluid Reservoirs. They use a different weight of lubricant altogether. I think it's 80/140 or something like that. Don't use synthetic lube in the front differential. From what I have been told it is too slick and won't let the Racheting cones engage soon enough and hard enough to always give you the best results front the front differential.

Old 02-13-2001, 07:34 AM
Trailblazer

For your oil question,my dealer told me that if you change your oil as for the recommended mileage
synthetic oil is a waste of money.I was out riding on the wknd and had to break trail in 2 feet of wet snow for over 1 hour.I an running 5w30
castrol(for very cold starts),in low range,3rd gear.I had it pinned the whole time,the header to mid engine was a very bright orange.NO over-heating at all.
As for your rear seal,it needs to be replaced.I had mine done.It seems that the seal will break down in real nasty gravel type mud.Not a big job but it is good to see it done once.

2001 manual 500
OUT

Old 02-13-2001, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

TexasCat:

It sounds like the same leak that I had on mine. The rear seal needed replaced. A way to tell is if there is any diff. fluid residue that has spit out from the drive shaft as it rotates, say on the battery shield or something. My problem occurred about 2 months out of warranty. $3 part, $45 labor, you know how it goes. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 02-13-2001, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry those filter cross references didn't work out for you like I said they would. They worked great on my cats. Try the Fram next time. I noticed the leak you were talking about when we met in Schulenburg. I'd take it to the dealer for sure. You only have about 3 months and 150 miles or so right? The trailer is in too. Going ridimg on Sunday and Monday(no school!) if you want to go! Drop me a line.

Old 02-14-2001, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

dakotart,

i bought a fram and a wix, glad i kept the receipts. sorry, this weekend is no good for me. maybe we can plan a date in early spring when i am completely caught up with my accounts. until then i will be busier than a three legged cat trying to bury his turds on a marble floor.

to all ac owners,

by the way, if any of you were wondering, i am a salesman--you know that guy that is always in the way in the convenience store. actually, i am an independent distributor and small business owner that sells beef jerky that is made in the small town of schulenburg, texas. i have seen other posts on other forums that ask for age and occupation. i don't want to be a copycat but i think it would be interesting to know.

texascat

Old 02-14-2001, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

texascat,

Cat with three legs...that was funny. Sorry about the filters. I understand the busy thing. I worked so many hours from August to November with football season this year my dog of 14 years forgot who I was. I'm planning a big camping/atv vacation over spring break on our land for a couple of friends and then a two day work trip on our land in bastrop after that. Early dates look like March 11th or so till the 14th. Keep in touch.