Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Differential oil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential oil replacement

So how would one go about changing the oil in the both differentials on these Cats? It looks like there's a fill plug but no drain plug. Do you have to loosen all the bolts and crack the differential open and let it drain that way? And doing that, will I need to replace the gasket? Thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kevro7 there are 2 plugs on the front and 2 plugs one the rear diff's one is the drain plug and the other is the filler plug , the location's of these plug's are different for the VP models and the FIS models ; the one on top is the filler hole and the other is lower and is the drain hole !

Like i have stated above the DVX sports and the VP and FIS models have some different locations for the 2 plug's , if someone doesn't jump in with some picture's of the location's for these plug's you can go to one of the many website's like www.bikebandit.com to get access to their part's diagrams ; and it's a free service so good luck with maintence and welcome to the forums !..........

Old 03-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I'll have to go look again, maybe I just missed it. The only plug that I had seen was about halfway up the diff. I'll look again tonight.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

So am I missing something. Went and looked again and I still only see the fill hole. Is the drain plug much smaller than the fill plug? because there is another bolt at the bottom but much smaller than I thought it would be.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure what year AC changed (or if it has) but on my2003 400 and 500 differentials there is a large fill plug ( 17mm I think) towards the top of the differential. On the bottom of the differential and on the opposite side is a much smaller drain plug ( I think it is 8mm).

I usually remove the skid plate to change the differential oil and I let it drain over night as it is really thick stuff. There is about 8oz (or 1cup) in each diff. I remove the skid plate to get easier access to the plugs. Place a small pan under each differential. Remove the inspection and drain plugs, clean then and set them aside. I then come back the next day and install the drain plug. Then fill with correct fluid through the inspection plug. (I use a hypoid 90wt gear oil) My fill level is 1inch down from the threads of the fill plug. I use a small piece of wire bent into an L-shape and then I clipped it with pliers until one leg as 1 inch long. Newer models I think have a third fill level plug you remove. (I think it is on the same side as the drain plug and is small as well) I think it changed in 2005 or 2006 on some models.

If yours has the fill level plug. Remove it and put fluid in through the large inspection plug until it comes out the fill plug and you are done. Install the fill plug and the large inspection plug. Far easier than trying to measure the fluid level and make sure it is 1 inch down.

On a side note do not be surprised to see very fine metal shavings in the fluid OR stuck to the little magnet on the drain plug. Some is normal, too much is....not a good thing.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Helps a lot! Thanks. I'm used to working on trucks and cars and was looking for a plug that was the same size as the fill plug. I figured that bottom bolt (plug) was it, but wanted to know for sure before I started. Thanks again

Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

You are welcome. On a side note, you may want to check the fluid level through the fill plug (big one) before draining it. That way you would know how much to refill it.

SJ