General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How do I maintain an atv?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I maintain an atv?

So I will be getting my first atv soon but it came to my attention that these machines require lots of maintaining. So what will I need to do/check before i go riding and after I go riding. I also heard that you need to replace the chain occasionally, how could I tell when I need to replace it, Is there anything else I would have to check like the chain. Also I've never had experience with an atv before

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

what atv do you have? what type of riding will you be doing? what type of climate is it exposed to?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Oil should be checked, along with tire pressures, and brakes. Those would be my main concerns. Since it has a chain I'll assume it's a sport quad. Grease any fittings you find if they look dry. Make sure the clutch is working properly. It shouldn't be hard to shift or have a lot of play. Is this going to be a used quad or a new one? If used I'd go through all fluids and replace them. If new it should be taken care of by the dealer as part of the prep.

The chain needs to be replaced when you run out of adjustment and it's still too loose. Owner's manual will tell you how much free play should be in the chain. Chain drives I've had weren't too bad. Maybe every couple months I needed to adjust them riding 2-3 times per month. I liked a chain oil that Polaris had that had silicone in it. Seemed to last longer than other oils I used. I only kept one for two years and the other for one. I never had to replace the chains and they were both used.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by panicmanic
what atv do you have? what type of riding will you be doing? what type of climate is it exposed to?
Raptor 250, I will be riding through the woods mud water grass, climate is north east Ohio

Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Oil should be checked, along with tire pressures, and brakes. Those would be my main concerns. Since it has a chain I'll assume it's a sport quad. Grease any fittings you find if they look dry. Make sure the clutch is working properly. It shouldn't be hard to shift or have a lot of play. Is this going to be a used quad or a new one? If used I'd go through all fluids and replace them. If new it should be taken care of by the dealer as part of the prep.

The chain needs to be replaced when you run out of adjustment and it's still too loose. Owner's manual will tell you how much free play should be in the chain. Chain drives I've had weren't too bad. Maybe every couple months I needed to adjust them riding 2-3 times per month. I liked a chain oil that Polaris had that had silicone in it. Seemed to last longer than other oils I used. I only kept one for two years and the other for one. I never had to replace the chains and they were both used.
It is a used Raptor 250, though it came from a Yamaha dealer

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by U2OFlyer
So I will be getting my first atv soon but it came to my attention that these machines require lots of maintaining. So what will I need to do/check before i go riding and after I go riding. I also heard that you need to replace the chain occasionally, how could I tell when I need to replace it, Is there anything else I would have to check like the chain. Also I've never had experience with an atv before
Get a 350 Yamaha Grizzly, all I do is change the oil and clean the air filter. It has the maintenance of a car.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by U2OFlyer
It is a used Raptor 250, though it came from a Yamaha dealer
Pretty simple quad with normal maintenance in all likelihood.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:46 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Having a rear chain sure ups the maintenance, my cousin had a 500 Scrambler it seemed like he was always lubing , tightening the chain and wearing out chains and sprockets plus the rear sprocket has little ground clearance and sure takes a big hit or two from boulders on the trail.