Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need some info on to upgrade my 2001 500 manual...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some info on to upgrade my 2001 500 manual...

Ok, ive got a 2001 arctic cat 500 4x4 manual, and first off, i love it, but its on the stock 25s, and the belly tends to drag and bottom out. Ive been thinking about a lift, nothing big, like 1 inch, just enough to get the belly up, and when my tires wear out, i want to go up to probably 27s. My question is, what driveline issues would i run into, what brand lifts do yall reccomend, and do yall reccomend a good 27 inch tire, im not looking at one of the full blown pro-mud tire, but something with some serious lugs that will get me through the deep gooey georgia clay, but be ride good enough for long trails. Ive looked at the ITP 589 m/s, and the Kenda Executioner, both are supposed to be close to the mud tires but smooth on trails. Are there any performance upgrades for this engine, i cant seem to find any?

Old 10-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have had a similar issue on my 2001 500TRV and 400FIS Manual. What I discovered was the shocks and springs were totally worn out. I haul LOTS of stuff, usually more than it is rated for. I had fluid leaking from every shock and the springs were so weak they were allowing the frame to sag especially with me sitting on the machine. My buddy measured it and it was like 6-7inches of Ground Clearance.

So I began looking into the same thing as you. First I spent $ on HD springs they worked for a little while. I eventually replaced the HD springs with new stock ones AND replaced the shocks as well. Now I have my GC back and with 25inch mudlite tires I have very good traction and like 12 inches of GC.

I think you will find that a lift kit of just 2inches coupled with 27inch tires can put too much stress on the rest of your drive train. Especially things like axles, cv joints, and bearings. I can tell you you should not need a lift to run 26 inch tires and the HD highlifter springs can add a little extra height as well. So you could get 2 or so inches lift with just 1 inch taller tires and HD springs.

On a safety note you will need to look at what kind of riding you do as lifting the machine will raise your center of gravity so it could make things interesting if you like to do high speed turns.

On a performance not you could try a K&N air filter change the exhaust and rejet the carb. This will probably make the fuel useage go up though and give you a little more power.

SJ

Old 10-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey hey great idea! That way people can name their tanks for visitors to see! Once again great idea!