Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

hard to start after it's been sitting a few hours

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to start after it's been sitting a few hours

2009 550 ATV efi trv le with 350 miles on it.Every time i try and start it after it's been sitting a few hours,it will spin over for 3 or 4 second's before it fires up and then dies.It will fire up the second try right away then die again,finally after the third attempt it will fire up and idle perfect. After that it is fine,it will fire up right away every time. I changed the spark plug ,didn't make any difference.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer

I will start by saying I haven't worked with ATV fuel injection, but have worked with it on automobiles-so you know where I am coming from.

My thoughts:

compression-not likely a problem with that few miles on it.

fuel pressure-if the system is bleeding too much pressure off when sitting it has to build back up to run. Car and truck systems have a check valve built into the pump, when it goes bad the system bleeds down and has to re-prime every time and causes hard starting.

air in the fuel system-if there is a place air can enter the system, it has to be purged before the computer can meter the proper amount of fuel, this would cause you to have to crank it over longer to get the air out of the injection nozzle. Then after sitting the pressure bleeds off and air enters again. Look for a bad seal or o-ring, anyplace a connection is made is a suspect. Automobiles have a thing that looks like a valve stem on the high pressure side of the system, if your machine has something like that, it could be leaking a bit.

bad fuel?

It only needs a few things to run, the proper amount of fuel and air, compression, and a spark at the correct time. Same principal for any internal combustion engine.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Also, if it is still under warranty take it in while you can.

SJ

Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info guy's i 'll have to check for leaks,thanks again

Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

The other thing Bad abbot that came to mind was something that Davethegunnman said about fuel pressure. I had the lift pump go out a while back on my diesel truck and it took the injector pump with it. Made the engine hard to start and lost a MAJOR amount of power.

I do not know enough about the fuel injected ATV's to know if they have one pump or two pumps. But I suspect since it is all computer controlled if you took it in they could hook it up and do a computer diagnostic (I think that can be done anyway) and it may have an error code for fuel pressure or something. You can probably call a dealer and ask their service department to make sure. There is usually a set fee for this service I think it is like $90 for a car maybe slightly less for an ATV.

Just a thought.

SJ

Old 12-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks swampy junior for your input,you guys have been great, really appreciate it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

bad abbott--Did you get the machine running again?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey davethegunman,i haven't done anything with it yet, it runs fine just have to spin it over for 3 or 4 seconds before it fires up . i'm going to bring it in to the dealer as soon as i get a chance it's still under warranty .if and when i find out whats wrong i'll post and let you know. thanks again for your feedback i really appreciate it..........

Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

My 700 has been doing the same thing. Have you got it figured out. My dealer put a valve of some type in the fuel line b/c they said the fuel was getting air in it. Still does it though,especially right after i turned it off then try starting it again. Some times it wont even start. If i wait a few min. it will fire right up ike nothing was wrong. I heard it could be the throttle positioning sensor. im taking mine back in as well.