Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2007 Arctic Cat 650H1 Won't Start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Arctic Cat 650H1 Won't Start.

Just bought a used 650H1 it started nicely when we purchased it then i noticed the starter making noise. Pulled the starter out and found the teeth almost chewed off the starter. Purchased a rip cord from arctic cat and ordered a new starter. The pull cord started the machine fine for about 6 pulls then the rip cord exploded (VERY CHEAPLY MADE) A 175.00 piece of junk. Bought the rip cord on christmass eve taking it back tomorrow to see what they will say. The machine just does not want to start now at all. Seems like there is no spark but not sure. It fired up off the rip cord today I rode it maybe 15km then she stalled and after trying to pull it 5 times the mechanism broke. I found oil in my air box and the starter was turning it over but did not seem right to me. This machine usually starts on the very first pull... well not now as the pull cord broke. I am not to familliar with these machines but purchased this based on the brand name recognition and good reviews but it has been nothing but trouble..... Where do I start? could my choke be acting up? when the machine runs the motor is very quiet and sounds normal only noises i hear is the sounds travelling through the snorkels but it is a normal sounding engine. The machine only has 1600km on it now it had 1520 when we purchased it. It cost me a pretty penny so now i am very frustrated and don't know where to begin how do i check this for spark and fuel and whatever else it could be? CDI (maybe) but woulkd it just die out like that?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Once you get the starter/pull starter fixed,make sure the battery is fully charged. have it tested if you need to. just b/c its turning over dont mean it has the correct amps/voltage to get it started. You said you dont think its getting spark...yet it fired up when you pull started it. for now,we'll rule that out. The oil in the air box may be too much air flter oil and dripped off the air filter. maybe not,but not likely. You have to keep in mind that the machine is used, so problems may be hidden. Clean the air filter with dish soap and water,re-oil it with air filter oil, change the plug,and oil, and put some sea foam in the gas tank with new fresh gas for good measures. Hopefully its one of these simple ideas and not the choke,which it could be or a dirty needle, in the carb. get that starter fixed and let us know where you stand. good luck and welcome to the forum,too bad its with a problem. maybe some one else will come in and help us out with some ideas.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick reply... I was in at The Arctic Cat dealer today in Welland, Ontario (Closest One To Me) all the guy did was pick at the mods that were done to my machine... That is how it was when I purchased it. I intend to return it to stock as I will not likely be riding under 3 feet of water. I took the pull cord in to them and he said he would haveto call Arctic Cat and see if rthey will warranty it. It is 10 days old. Hmmm i wonder what his answer will be?? I had ordered a starter just before Xmass... Still not in yet so I guess I will just be waiting and then go from there. My wife really loves this machine so I am hoping for a trouble free summer with it for her. For the battery question it does have a new battery in it (but we were cranking it over with a charger attached in start mode). I have started to take the plastics off. I am going to give the machine a good cleaning change all fluid and put in a new plug and by the time i get that far hopefully my starter will have arrived at the dealer. I will keep you posted. I do not want to give up yet...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

these cats are pretty good bikes. im on my 3rd. my last one which was a 2002 500 manual had about 5,000 miles on with no problems. always started in the cold and ran great all the time.