Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Frozen choke problems???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frozen choke problems???

I have an A.C. 2006 650 v2, and when it is parked outside overnight, the choke freezes up and won't go on. It is usually parked inside, but we had an ice fishing weekend at our cabin this weekend, and it got very cold over night. In the morning, the choke would not go on. The machine still started, but I had to roll it over a ton of times. Once the engine warmed up, the choke worked fine. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if this a cable problem, or a plunger problem? Also, some tips or ideas on how to fix the problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my TRV but it was my throttle cable. Seemed like there was moisture inside the cable some how. It would freeze inthe winter and would thaw after it idled for about 15-20 minutes.

I was told the cables were "sealed" and had a teflon (or something like that) liner and you could not lube them. So I replaced it with a new throttle cable. Everything was fine the first year thenit started doing it again. I think moisture condenses somehow inside the cable.

I borrowed one of those cable lube tools from a friend and tried to spray lube down the cable while it was on the machine. I ahd no luck. So I removed it from the machine, sprayed it and let it hang vertically overnight. Now it just gets a little stiff but goes away after the engine runs for a couple of minutes.

My problem with it being the throttle cable was that it would stick! My dealer said I could keep getting a new cable until I got one that worked if I wanted to keep switching them out. But what I have currently is working.

Hope this helps.

Swampy

Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whjen I had my V2 I always put the choke on right after I shut it off. Always started quick the next time I used it.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Squirt a little antifreeze down the choke cable till it runs out the other end, then work the cable back forth. That's what the snowmobile riders do.