Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

$125 for an Oil Change..... WFT????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $125 for an Oil Change..... WFT????

I just took my 2008 Arctic Cat 650 TRV in for service today. It was not shifting from High to Rev very well. I purchased it new 30 days ago as a left over from another dealer upstate PA. Anyway I had a few things I wanted them to work on "under warrenty" and they told me the battery might NOT be covered. WTF?? I just gave them 8 grand 30 days ago and they are not going to cover a battery.. that is crap. Anyway with 50 some miles I thought I would go ahead and have the first oil change as the old oil had been in there a couple years... then the words that shocked the crap out of me... $125 for a oil change service.. They said they have to have a "kit" and then the labor.. Holy Crap am I being raped here on the price? Do they have to use this "kit"? If I change oil myself will that void the 6 month or the extended Cat Care warrenty? I am just in shock by that...

Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

That's outrageous!!!

yes, you are getting screwed, but an angry call to the factory service rep will be about all you can do if the store owner/manager won't do something to fix this. Post pics of the receipt showing this...would love to see what their justification is

There's no "kit" requirement to changing oil, unless they consider a filter and oil to be a "kit".

It will not void your warranty unless it is some crappy dealer's warranty that requires them to do it. Read the terms carefully. If you can't do an oil change yourself (and keep the receipts for your oil and filter if you do) take it to another shop that won't rip you off

Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

change your own oil it wont void warranty, just keep all reciepts and document miles when you changed it.

that would be the last time i stepped in that dealer, im going to pick up my atv at the dealer they sell arctic cat also and see what they charge...heck that price they charged you is what a dodge dealer charges around to change the oil on a Cummins that has 3 gallons of oil.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

You are getting seriously hosed! The oil change "kit" they are telling you about sells for like $35-$40 on line. Look it up if you want to.

The only other costly thing is to remove the skid plate and clean the oil pick-up screen. Which is best to do on the first oil change to get all the gunk from when the engine was assembled out.

You can probably get this kit and change the oil yourself, and clean the pick-up screen in less than 1 hour.

Oil changes and batteries are not covered under warranty. But that is up to each dealer. My dealer threw in the 1st oil change for free. So I believe it is a dealer thing.

Swampy

Swampy

Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

yep....looked it up online, and oil and filter plus a spout are considered an oil change "kit" available from AC for about $45 bucks...

It never ceases to amaze me how people take advantage of other folk's ignorance.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Update.. went and picked it up today.. They adjusted the shift linkage.. seems better.. they fixed the brake light.. the adjusted the carb idle.. that is the good. Now the bad.. they "tested" the battery and called it good. Then to the oil change and first service.. Well not as bad as they quoted.

Parts
Kit, ATV Oil - 30.95 ( Kit should be all inclusive right?)
Spark Plug - 6.02 ( they said it was bad??? after 50 miles??)
2 Qt oil - 17.98 ( WTF?? that is more that the Mobil One I put in my vette)

Total Labor
102.00.. wow again more that my vette for an oil change...

I am not impressed with this dealer. Good thing I have another option about the same distance away.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I remember the first time I heard the term "KIT". from my dealer. It a box with 2 quarts of oil and a filter. $25. I guess for a extra $100 they would of installed it for me. LOL

Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer

I would not go to that dealer again. Anything under warrantee labor should be covered by the manufacture.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

well most dealers shop rates around here are about $80.00 an hour.Some are maybe $70.00 if you drive south a little ways. So if its about $30.00 for the oil and filter and you guesstimate about a half hour job to change the oil,$40.00 plus $30.00= $70.00. On top of the oil change they fixed your light,shifter,spark plug,and adjusted your carb,$102.00 isnt all that bad then. It simple, you pay people for what they know. if you know how to do all of the things they did,you could have done it all in about 45 min.-hr. and only spent about $40.00. Also,if your bike is an automatic,you dont need thier special "wet clutch" oil, your mobil one will work just fine. If you have a manual shift then it needs an oil for "wet clutches" which has additives in it to help the shifting without wear.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have not purchased the "oil kit" for some time. I buy my oil in bulk to save some $. Regular 10w-40 for my machines runs about $6 a quart plus about $5 for the filter. So for me the 3.5 to 4 quarts of oil and filter costs less than $30 and takes about 15minutes to do.

The NGK spark plugs are $3-$4 at the local parts store and I change them ounce a year.

Adjusting the shifter, carb and replacing the plug took probably 10-15 minutes.

At $90 and hour (typical shop rates) that is a half hours time plus labor. So I am inclined to say the $102 is still too HIGH.

It also lets you know how much $ you can save by doing it yourself in the future.

Swampy

Quick Reply: $125 for an Oil Change..... WFT????