Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2000 arctic cat 500 auto engine tear down

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 arctic cat 500 auto engine tear down

has anybody ever had an engine completely apart some thing in the transmission is broken i have no forward or reverse the clutches spin .I have the engine almost apart,was just wondering if everything is going to fall out if i open up the rest of the engine

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

I tried replying to this last night and Iguess my computer had a malfunction.

Anyway, last time I had to do this I started before I had a service manual. Sounds like you have one which is good. Their directions are OK but do lack some specifics. Such as when you split the two cases it says "account for 2 pins, a c-clip and a washer and an o-ring" but does not tell you from where!

Make sure you have removed all other components on the top, and sides
prior to removing the screws to sparate the halves. I used a permanent marker to write letters on the screw caps and next to their appropriate hole. I also drew a picture of the right and left side on a piece of cardboard, punched holes into it and places the screws inthe appropriate places. Some are different lengths and I wanted them to go back into the exact same holes.

From what I rememebr the two pins are located one up front (just over the drive shaft output) and the second one onthe top side above the rear output shaft. I do not remember where the c-clip, o-ring and washer come from. But, if you have the engine standing upright only the pins should fall out.

I used a rubber mallot and ended up tapping on the shafts on the right hand side driving the shafts to the left with that part of the case. Also, if you have wiped the shafts that protrude from the case dry, the do not slide as easily. Coat them with oil to slide easier.

All of the shafts stay in left side case half and won't fall out and go rolling across the floor if you are careful.

Hope this helps,

Sounds like something has sheered off in your transmission. There are lots of keys and pins with some of those gears.

Swampy

Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your info but i think it might be worth 1.5hr labour to let the dealer take it apart. Might just save me a big head ache!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, that works too. I think the dealer can split the case, find your problem, fix it (assuming parts are on hand) and put the case back together in 1.5hrs.

The head ache would not happen until you got it all back togetehr and then realized where was this little washer supposed to go? Left over parts!

I think it took me 1.5hrs just to get the cases a part the first time I did it. My dealer doe not always like working on the middle of things like that becasue they cannot make sure everything rotates as it should before sending it out.

Sounds like a big undertaking but you can learn a lot about your machine while doing it. It really comes down to time and money. If you have the time you save some $. If you have the $ you can save some time.

Good Luck

Swampy

Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure what you mean by the clutch's spin. is the belt broken? or the drive clutch spins with the engine off?