Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

TRV Thermal Overheat Protection??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TRV Thermal Overheat Protection??

My new Cat had only 10 miles on it and I the fan ran constantly as well the temp light would come on and blink, and when I stopped it seemed to stall a lot. When I checked the Rad it had no coolant it! I added some and it seems to work as it should (I'm gonna flip out at the dealer) but what I was wondering was is there any thermal overload protection built in to shut down the engine on a new 09 TRV before it overheated and caused damage, my bike stalled a number of times when it got hot and I was told that this might be that engine protection? Also I heard that if the engine gets too hot the light comes on solid? After I found out and added coolant it ran fine. Just curious if that kind of overload exists on a TRV 09 CAT

Thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tripleplaytours
My new Cat had only 10 miles on it and I the fan ran constantly as well the temp light would come on and blink, and when I stopped it seemed to stall a lot. When I checked the Rad it had no coolant it! I added some and it seems to work as it should (I'm gonna flip out at the dealer) but what I was wondering was is there any thermal overload protection built in to shut down the engine on a new 09 TRV before it overheated and caused damage, my bike stalled a number of times when it got hot and I was told that this might be that engine protection? Also I heard that if the engine gets too hot the light comes on solid? After I found out and added coolant it ran fine. Just curious if that kind of overload exists on a TRV 09 CAT

Thanks
OUCH!!!

Unfortunately I don't believe there's an "emergency shutdown" to save the motor built into the ECM. The flashing temp light is the only indicator. YOU MAY HAVE COOKED IT. If it doesn't have problems soon it WILL.

I'd definately be taking it back to the dealer and calling AC ASAP. A new motor is the ONLY fix IMHP under warranty.

This is one reason I NEVER take the dealer's assurance that it's been prepped right. More often than not it's simply uncrated and cleaned up. If it starts - it's given to the the buyer.

I checked ALL my fluid levels on both my CATS the moment I brought them home. My wifey's 550 was low in coolant too. I caught it - filled it - called my dealer ASAP.

Dealers are only as good as the service tech they've got working for them.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I personally have past experiences with the engine running right up until it seizes! No warning no light in my case as I lost oil pressure to the top end and the cam did not appreciate it.

Eventhough the dealer should have made sure it was full up on fluids. It is still the riders responsibility to check fluids and the machine prior to riding. According to AC's manual. So I am not sure how "forgiving" AC or the dealer will be. However, at the same time if they are "AC certified" you would think they would have checked it!

Swampy