Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Drive Belt (i think )

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Drive Belt (i think )

Hey all, I just got done (almost) rebuilding a friends 400 4X4 automatic. All seems good so far except when I go to put it in gear, (H or R ) it grinds a little
( I am pretty sure thats normal ) and dies. If I give it some gas, put it in gear quick I can go, but when I come to a stop it dies. Is this due to the V-belt not adjusted properly ? I followed the service manual, I dont understand he 3/8 shim thing though, I did it still cant get it. Or is this something else ?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default one way bearing

Originally Posted by ktosca
Hey all, I just got done (almost) rebuilding a friends 400 4X4 automatic. All seems good so far except when I go to put it in gear, (H or R ) it grinds a little
( I am pretty sure thats normal ) and dies. If I give it some gas, put it in gear quick I can go, but when I come to a stop it dies. Is this due to the V-belt not adjusted properly ? I followed the service manual, I dont understand he 3/8 shim thing though, I did it still cant get it. Or is this something else ?
Thanks in advance.
yeh, that happened to me when I replaced seal behind primary clutch.seems like the one way bearing behind clutch installed backwards.....................there is an arrowon the bearing ...should point forward..................

Old 04-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default one way bearing

Originally Posted by ktosca
Thanks in advance.
just to be clear........... one way bearing is behind CENTRIFIGAL CLUTCH............got to remove clutches and housing......drain oil first...a bit of work,but can be done on the quad................I know it happened to me..lol

Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks, but the rebuild did not go that deep, I did not have to remove the clutch nor the bearing ? And according to the owner it did not do this before.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Drive Belt

On the 400 the the primary c lutch sheaves are tight against the belt .There is no clearance.The centrifugal clutch actuates when the engine accelerates.Sounds like a problem with the cen.clutch or one way bearing gone south.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys.
You were right, it was the one way bearing. I should have checked it before I put it back together. All set now.
Thanks again for the help.