Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

1999 AC 300 4x4 won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 AC 300 4x4 won't start when hot

I have a 1999 AC 300 4x4 that won't start once I have been riding it for a while and the engine is heated up. I have narrowed the problem down to the gear indicator on the side of the engine. Oil is seeping into the area where the electronic sender is and giving a false reading so it doesn't know its in neutral. If I let the machine sit for a while, the oil recedes, and I can restart no problem. I can use the recoil starter to start while its hot, but thats a real pain because you have to take the seat off each time. Does anyone know of a way to easily remedy this oil seepage problem without having to pull the entire engine and trans apart or of a way to bypass the gear indicator altogether. I really don't pay much attention to the gear indicator lights because most of my riding is in first or second gear anyway. Beside the fact that half of them don't work anyway. Any help would be appreciated very much.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 1999 AC 300 4x4 won't start when hot

Originally Posted by rdnkpnk
I have a 1999 AC 300 4x4 that won't start once I have been riding it for a while and the engine is heated up. I have narrowed the problem down to the gear indicator on the side of the engine. Oil is seeping into the area where the electronic sender is and giving a false reading so it doesn't know its in neutral. If I let the machine sit for a while, the oil recedes, and I can restart no problem. I can use the recoil starter to start while its hot, but thats a real pain because you have to take the seat off each time. Does anyone know of a way to easily remedy this oil seepage problem without having to pull the entire engine and trans apart or of a way to bypass the gear indicator altogether. I really don't pay much attention to the gear indicator lights because most of my riding is in first or second gear anyway. Beside the fact that half of them don't work anyway. Any help would be appreciated very much.
Welcome to the forums rdnkpnk it's for sure a seal leak , question 1. whitch seal ? crank shaft ? 2. shift shaft ? Answer 1. If it's the crank shaft (seal is behind the fly wheel ) and you can remove an install with out having to spliit the case to replace a new seal ;
answer 2. If it's one of the shift shaft's you'll have to remove the plastic's for access the shift cable's and shift shaft's on top off the crank case .

Hope this get's you started on job !

williebee.........

Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I don't want to have to go through trying to figure out where the oil is coming from. By the looks of it, I'm going to have to tear everything apart and I really don't think its worth it. The oil isn't hurting anything and its not leaking oil. I would rather just disconnect the neutral safety switch. I just need to find out where it is located.