Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

05 trv 500 potential tranny malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 trv 500 potential tranny malfunction

I posted a while back about how my trv wouldnt go anywhere in high or low, it would just rev. well I have been busy but recently had some time for a little troubleshooting. here is what its doing:

In neutral, everything seems to work fine, both the driveshaft and the driven clutch spin( i took off the belt housing cover). when I shift to high, it sounds like it struggles to grab the gear unless I move the shifter almost to low, then it gets into gear. when I give it gas, the drive shaft doesnt move. then when I try to shift back into neutral, it wont let me unless I shut off the engine.

when I shift into reverse and give it gas, it blows black smoke out of the exhaust.

I am handy with tools, just never worked on a 4 wheeler.

any ideas?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider
Cool

I've got a few ideas:

1 - I hate being the bear'r of bad news.... worst case : it SOUNDS like you may have a broken/chewed up bevel gear. Drain your oil and look for metal filings to confirm.

2. Another thought......did you recently change the oil and NOT USE "wet" clutch oil?
If your BOTH your primary & seconday clutchs are expanding/contracting and grabbing the belt, but the quad doesn't move.......

3. the "black smoke" in reverse...does the quad BOG down under throttle? That's over fueling........but it may again be a syptom of #1

4. your shifter is WAY out of allignment and your not getting all the way INTO gear. there's a "lock-nut" adjustment on the linkage. If you can't physically MOVE the shifter *** into the right gear, then back-offf the locking nuts (one is reverse threaded) and spin the adjustment fork in combo with the shifter till you find the right gear setting w/the quad running.

Hope some of this help.

Good luck

Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

if it is the bevel gear, looking at my repair manual, that requires me to pull the whole motor out and dissasemble the bottom end right?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

as an update, I drained the oil, didnt see any shavings(a little bit of glitter size particulates, but nothing that looks out of the ordinary).

as for the second suggestion, I am not sure what you mean(atv newbie)

and for #4, when the motor is off, it shifts into gear like it should. not sure if that rules out the shifter alignment or not.

when I have the belt housing cover off, I noticed 2 flywheels(I believe the front one is called the driveshaft plate or something, and the aft one is called the driven clutch) they both spin what appears to be normal in neutral. but when I put it in gear, neither one spins. does that mean my v-belt is probably not the issue?

thanks for all the help.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by maxwell_usmc

as for the second suggestion, I am not sure what you mean(atv newbie)
You can't use regular motor oil. Use HAVE to use ATV 4-stroke oil that has friction additives for "wet" clutches (in the motor) I use AMSOIL 0w40 ATV oil synthetic in my TRV & AC's ACX 5w50 in the wifey's 550.

and for #4, when the motor is off, it shifts into gear like it should. not sure if that rules out the shifter alignment or not.
I won't matter when the engine is off. Can you START it in gear? (I'm ASSUMING this is an AUTOMATIC? NOT a MANUAL?) Hold in the brake lever and hit the starter button. Then hit the throttle to see if it moves in either H-L-R.

when I have the belt housing cover off, I noticed 2 flywheels(I believe the front one is called the driveshaft plate or something, and the aft one is called the driven clutch) they both spin what appears to be normal in neutral. but when I put it in gear, neither one spins. does that mean my v-belt is probably not the issue?

thanks for all the help.
those should be your CLUTCHS. The fwd one is the PRIMARY and the rear is your SECONDARY. Depending on RPM will determine how deep the V-Belt sits in the clutch plate groove(s) thus how FAST you go hence - AUTOMATIC.

Sounds to me like you may need to take'r in and have an AC mechanic look at it.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update-

I changed the oil & filter. No metal in the oil, it looked kind of milky though. It took me forever to get the bike started, and when I did, it sits in idle and then sputters when I hit the throttle and dies. I tried leaving it at idle and it dies after about 5 seconds. I disconnected the carb, drained it and sprayed carb cleaner in it. took off the airbox and noticed my filter was muddy! Took the filter out and could see light shining through from the bottom of the filter box . The drain plug wasnt in it at all. A very important piece that I didnt notice before I took it out mudding for the first time since I bought it a few weeks ago. it is snorkeled so I took it through some water and it died. at the time I chocked it up to water messing up the ignition somewhere because I got it started after I got towed out and sat for a while.

any ideas of what that muddy water may have messed up in relation to my list of problems? The block didnt sieze thank god, but obviously water got in where it wasnt supposed to.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went ahead and took apart the carb before someone had the chance to reply with that. a little corrosion in the vacuum piston assembly, everything else looked pretty good. I took apart the choke electric choke(which isnt in my repair manual) and that was CAKED with mud. going to clean it all out real good and give it another shot.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 05 trv 500 tranny malfunction

I went ahead and took apart the carb before someone had the chance to reply with that. a little corrosion in the vacuum piston assembly, everything else looked pretty good. I took apart the choke electric choke(which isnt in my repair manual) and that was CAKED with mud. going to clean it all out real good and give it another shot.
If there was mud caked on your air filter you ingested water into intake and through the combustion chamber/top end and into the crankcase/bottom end , that explain's the milky color in your oil and i would flush the crankcase oil at least 2 to 3 time's to be sure there's no more water in the oil ; the drain plug you stated wasn't installed was it the plug that goes in the belt/clutch cover housing ?

I don't know where the snorkle's are located on the 05' AC 500 but on my 06' AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 the air intake's for carb and CVT/belt/clutch are mounted high under the front plastic's up to the handle bar's , the day i brought home the new Cat my little bro and i rode up a creek that we alway's had get out of the creek because the water was to deep to go through on my old 86' Honda TRX 350 D Foreman 4x4 and 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ ; while my bro was going around the creek bank i thought i would try to keep going the water only came up to the floorboard's of the Cat !

I drove my 400 uo a creek where it was to deep for my 86' Honda 350 D Foreman 4x4 and my 93" Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ , but it only came up to the floorboard on the cat and i did get into a deep hole that came up to the bottom of my headlight's on the cat with no trouble , i called the Dealer the next day and told her about going in at creek and she told me the air intake's were located up high at the plastic's even with the handle bar's ;she also told me about the drain plug and told me if water ever got into the belt housing just screw the plug out and start the engine in newtral and rev the engine a few time's and look for water coming out of the drain !

I removed the plug and did what i was told to do and no water came out , my 400 is all stock no mod's and if i had been going fast i'm sure i could've gotten water in the engine or CVT/belt/clutck housing !

I sunk my cousin's 88' Suzuki LT4WD 250 QuadRunner in 1990 after talked him into letting me double with him on back , we made it about 2 mile's from the truck when we came upon
a beaver's Dam where the water was to deep to go any farther and on the way back i stopped when we came to this spot where i couldn't remember what side of the creek we were on going down ; i aked him witch side his reply was i don't know you're the one driving he said go to the right side ( big mistake ) i should've gone to the left when started going slowly when all of a sudden water came up to my neck i told my cousin to get off and i got off and pulled it upon a sand bank were water pour ou every hole !

After that long walk to the truck we had to go get it the next day , and i had to flush out all fluid's including the gas tank , engine , diff fuild's the work's and i conviced that there were no more water since i used Kerosine and acetone ; just keep flushing the crankcase untill the no water in the oil !

As for the tranny goes it may or maynot be the cause but could be and like the other member's have given you some good info here , i'm just putting in my 2 cent's keep us in the loop to whatever you find out ; so we can help other's with the same issue's and thank you for your post !

williebee........