Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cowboy,

I was installing a fence last weekend & was using the Cat to haul 60 lb bags of quikcrete to the postholes. At one time, I had 5 bags (300 lbs) on the front rack & 9 bags (540 lbs) on the rear rack. I weigh about 180 lbs. I was also towing a yard trailer that had 10 bags (600 lbs) in it. Never even a quiver out of the Cat. I didn't go fast (didn't want to drop & break open a bag) but The cat didn't even break a sweat. You should have seen the Omish boys who were digging the post holes, They couldn't believe the work that "toy" was doing. By the end of the day, they were using the Cat to do everything they could think of!!

Later,

Lance

Old 03-13-2001, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I pulled a house off of a witch out behind the house the other day.

Old 03-13-2001, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Lost me with that one Andy.

Old 03-13-2001, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

Damn, looks like you're the man to beat now, that's impressive! Sorry, I get a kick out of how well you can work an atv when you get down to it.

Well, maybe I should rephrase that-I think Andy just may take the cake there with towing that house off that witch! Or wait, was that in the land of Oz???? Heh heh heh.

Anyway, thanks CatLance, nice to hear it! Best of luck with the rest of the job, and hope the new place is turning into "home sweet home" for you guys.

Mike

Old 03-13-2001, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I don't know if this would beat Catlance total weight and it wasn't on an Arctic Cat. This last elk hunt my brother shot a spike bull off down in the trees. We all walked down and loaded it on my dads sportsman 500. Then a couple of the guys climed on and rode out up a steep hill the whole way. We had the elk (est 800lbs) on the rear rack. My brothers friend (300lb) my brother (200lb)on the seat and tank and two teenagers on the front rack at (100lb each).
We were totally impressed. My dad was a liitle upset because his machine was brand new at that time. but other than that he was impressed too.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Just the other week I was on my way home from riding the snowmobile trails with my cat, when i noticed the FEDX truck was in the ditch. SO when over by it and aske the guy if he had rope, he said no. So I had hook my winch line upto his rear bumper. Well to my surpise my cat pulled him out in reverse. The guy couldnt believe it that a little fouwheeler pulled him out. I have no clue how heavy the truck was,but it was a bigger fed x. I would say it was the same size As the ups guys.
matty

Old 03-13-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

After some burnt-belt experiences towing with my old Polaris, I swore I'd never own another belt-drive auto again. You guys are starting to make me rethink that! Using low range is obviously key here, but I find that coming to a dead stop to switch every time the terrain changes is a real pain, especially when all my buddies pile up on my tail. Is the AC the same way, you must come to a dead stop to change to or from low range? Is it feasable to just stay in low range for most rough-terrain riding without feeling that you're over revving or really wasting fuel?
The other big concern is compression braking. Towing a big load is useless if you can't control it on the downhills. Are you guys happy with the AutoCat's compression braking? How does it compare with the Manual?

Old 03-13-2001, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

yukon
i can tell you that when going down a steep hill in low, most of the time you need to give it gas just to get down. unless you want to stop, you rarely need the brakes. in high it works great but not as well as low, you can't control the compression like a manual. you do need to stop to switch. you'll be surprised at the landscape you can get through in high. when i NEED low to get somewhere i usually stop to look at the situation first so it's not really a big deal. mostly i just use low for work and you can go at a good clip if you want.

Old 03-14-2001, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Roy;Im interested in the spring spacers you refer to. Are these cat parts,Do they help with body sway when riding two up. Thanx Len.