Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how you guys with the AC 500 autos or manuals like your machines.
Are they good in the mud,water,and working conditions? I would work alot with mine like hauling and towing stuff and wanted to know how they do under those conditions.

Old 03-05-2001, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

mark3
i bought my autocat for work first, fun second. i doubt anyone would deny the fact that arctic cat 500's are definitly one of the best utility quads you can get. extremly sturdy, surefooted, and powerful. low speed grunt is their forte and they climb like goats. suspension flex is probably the best in the industry and this translates into a very capable and comfortable ride at moderate speeds. as far as pulling things, i've pulled a c-30 dually stake body loaded with firewood. almost 4 tons i would guess. it'll drags logs around all day long. go back and read over the forum and you'll see many satisfied owners. anything else i can help you with, just e-mail me. i'm sure you will get many answers in this thread.

Old 03-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

mark3
i bought my autocat for work first, fun second. i doubt anyone would deny the fact that arctic cat 500's are definitly one of the best utility quads you can get. extremly sturdy, surefooted, and powerful. low speed grunt is their forte and they climb like goats. suspension flex is probably the best in the industry and this translates into a very capable and comfortable ride at moderate speeds. as far as pulling things, i've pulled a c-30 dually stake body loaded with firewood. almost 4 tons i would guess. it'll drags logs around all day long. go back and read over the forum and you'll see many satisfied owners. anything else i can help you with, just e-mail me. i'm sure you will get many answers in this thread.

Old 03-06-2001, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I personally believe the 500 cat is $ for $ the best utility quad out there. I haven't been able to stop it but once and that was with 300+ pounds on the racks and a "small river" crossing. I say small because it was only over the fuel tank by the time I got it in reverse and pulled myself and the cat out to safety. Some of the other guys out there have managed to do a lot more like sink them completely and they have made it out fine. Kind of the "risky business" line "ok, who's the u-boat commander?" I'd also venture to say it's one of the most comfortable quads out there. I can ride all day at 5mph or 40mph and get off without my hands felling numb from the vibration like other quads exhibit. I also feel comfortable around it. By that I mean I'll let my inexperienced girlfriend ride without fear of an accident because it isn't the land missile that other quads are. It has a very predictable limit of speed and corning that she handles well. I feel safer knowing she can't get it into a full power 4 wheel power slide like she does in my truck . The semi-independent rear is awesome too. Just ask my girlfriend what happens when you hit a hidden 8" tree stump with a swingarm rear end. Her direct quote was, "the quad went that way and I went the other way." I saw it and man does a swing arm rearend get a quad on two wheels quick. Yes I ride the thing too! I play hard and work hard. It's nice to have a quad to haul fence post anywhere. i've even used it this weekend to round up some stray cattle. Call it a "Texas Cattle Quad" if you wish. I tow with it quit a bit too. I'll cut out some brush and drag it down our sand road to clear that off and smooth it out some. It will also play really nice. Mud and everything! Check out my web page for some action shots. Some other guys on here have some good work photos like Irichard I believe. He hauls some large game thru some remote areas of Alaska. I don't think you can do better for a work quad at the prices the 500 sell for. I know they are dependable and strong.

dakota r/t
http://lonestar.texas.net/~eeyore/atvhomepage.html

Old 03-06-2001, 07:28 AM
Trailblazer

This is my fifth bike and by far if you plan on doing work then I don't think it can be beat.I would go with the manual just for the "no belt to burn" effect.The rear really does work well over rough terrain,even when riding with two up.If you plan on carrying extra heavy loads on your racks then a spring spacer would be the way to go "thanks Cowboy,it works great".
KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN
OUT

Old 03-07-2001, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Roys:
Hey man, thanks! Very glad to hear it helped and you're happy with it. The idea originally came from Trailboss, who suggested I try it as there are no stiffer springs available for the AC's yet. The real thanks goes to him, I've very grateful for his help! Anyway, glad I could pass it along to help somebody else as well!

Mark3:
I'd agree with what everybody else has to say. For a utility machine, you'd be very hard pressed to find a quad that could out perform the 'Cat. Then, figure in the cost factor, and there's really nothing close. Keep in mind, AC is a utility quad, and won't be a speed demon by any means. It's built to handle tough loads, and is full of low end grunt torque.

As for the auto, I work the hell out of mine, and it just begs for more. Even after upgrading to 27" 'Claws, I'm still dragging around all the logs and heavy weights I have before. Take a look at my pictures at the link below, click on teh "snow pics". There's a few pictures in there of me towing our suburban, with the trailer attached, up a hill in over 2' of snow. I don't remember which ones are there, but I had to tow the suburban by itself 4 different times, tow it with the trailer at least once, and winch the entire rig back up on the road once after dad slipped over the edge. Pictures don't do that hill justice, it's a lot steeper than it looks, but the 'Cat pulled like a champ, eventually got the sub to the top.

The key to working with an auto is to keep it in low range. If you do that, you'll be just fine. Best of luck in the decision, happy trails.

Mike

Old 03-07-2001, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

Mark3:
AC 500 is built for serious work and some play. Like Cowboy said it is not built for speed, but it goes fast enough. Love mine, work the heck out of it and it has never let me down. I have the auto and I love it. no problems. My father has a sp500 and I can do anything he can and I mean anything. It's hard to beat the price as compared to some of the other mass advertising companies. You can't go wrong with the AC. I got the Hunters Limited Edition model (2000 lb warn winch, camo cover, camo rack bag) alot of value for not alot of money. The Rubicon would have cost me $2000 more with the same accessories and I promise that would not have been $2000 well spent.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

IF there is anything my cat loves more than working, it's mudding(wait-- that might be me). I've been threw rack deep holes and made it out when noone(not even me) thought I could make it threw.

I've also worked it VERY hard. I've pulled an 8000 lb Dodge up a gravel upgrade, pulled a Toyota 2wd, extended cab, long bed truck with it's rear wheels locked up. Then With the rear wheels not locked up, I pushed it on to a tandem axle trailer untill the rear bumper got hooked on my front bumper, lifting my front end off the ground and forceing me to stop.

And as for heavy loads ON the bike, I want to hear someone top this. Me(160) driving,my 185lb cousin Donald on the front rack, my 350 lb cousin Eric and My 185 lb cousin John on the rear rack. Then Eric was trying to say it was straining in High range 1st gear. So I blimped the throttle and lifted the fronts off of the ground for him. He didn't ask about power after that.

You want anymore examples of Mud, water, or working?? Just ask, I got plenty more.

Old 03-08-2001, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Damn Boner! On the calculator, I get 880 lbs. total ON your 'Cat. I think you may have beat me out on that one, but it might be close. I had me (230), another hunter at just over 200 (6'2" tall guy, not very built), a little over 100 lbs. on the front rack, and half of a very large spike bull elk. Took 3 guys to lift the thing onto my back rack, so I don't know what it weighed. Anyway, I'm at 530 known lbs., plus whatever that big bull weighed in at. He was heavy though, I'm sure it would be close to totalling your 880 lbs, but you still might have the edge on that one-that's a hell of a lot of weight! I had to carry all of that weight through over a foot of snow, all while towing a 450 s/es (can't remember if it was the es or not) with the rider and the other half of the elk.

Anyway, if somebody could beat your 880 lbs., I'd be impressed, that's nearly 600 lbs. more than the 'Cat is rated at hauling! Nicely done!

Mike

Old 03-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

Mark3:

I may not be able to hold a candle to Boner or cowboy, but my brother pulled an old 33 hp International farm tractor, with my AC '01 500 Manual. I'm not sure how much the tractor weighs but that should give you an example of the AC 500's power. As far as working goes, I wonder how I ever farmed without it.