Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Prowler rear differential problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prowler rear differential problems!

I experienced a problem with my 09 Prowler jerking when you try to take off from a dead start or at a rolling start. It did not do it when in 4 wheel drive. I discovered that the rear driveline was turning as much as 3 or 4 revolutions before rearend would engage. This machine has the turf saver rear differential. I removed the rearend and found that the spool was welded so you could not take apart. I ground the welds off and dissassembled and found that there are a type of clutch pack on each side. Mine was damaged beyond any repair on one side. So to make a long story short I was wondering if anyone has removed there limited slip and installed a solid spool from a older model. If so do you have the correct part #'s? The limited slip spool and gear assembly is upwards of $700.00 everywhere I have looked online and the comparable solid spools are around 150.00 in the older models. I have compared the parts diagrams and numbers to several other models and everything seems to be the same except for the pinion tooth numbers and the spool with the ring gear. My pinion is 10 tooth and the ring gear 36 tooth. I can't afford to spend 700 plus dollars to repair this rearend so any help would be appreciated.
From my research I know that the axles are the same, housing is same part number, bearings seals etc. are the same. My gear ratio is 3.6 and most of the older ones are 4.0 with a 9 tooth pinion instead of a 10 tooth pinion which is in mine. Will the ring gear work if i reshim the gears? The teeth are straight cut so I think they will. I just don't have the money to experiment. I am hoping someone else has already experienced this problem and can help.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I admittedly have absolutely NO experience w/the PROWLER's turf saver rear-end.

Not that I'm doubting you...... and you DID disassemble the rear diff......but....was what you describe INSIDE the diff housing......or infront of the diff housing w/a driveshaft attached to it? The reason I ask is that some of these machines have what's called a SLD (spike load dampener) on the 1000 H2 models.

On the T-CAT quad this is a MAJOR issue. Basically the SLD does it's job ONCE.....then it's scrap and from what you describe "sounds' exactly like it failed. It "absorbs" all the sheer twisty torque the H2 motors put out to save other drive-line components.

Many have welded it to prevent it from working....then failing. The trade-off is possible damage to u-joints and busted axles and/or differentials due too ALL the H2's pwr translating down the drive-line.

Just something to consider......

good luck!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen. We put in ring gear and axles from 2011 prowler and made it a posi-trac. Turns harder on pavement but doesn't slip and jerk anymore.