Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

dropped screw in cylinder head...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool dropped screw in cylinder head...

So I rebuilt my carb and was putting it all back together (down to <30 minutes to finish) and I think I dropped one of the screws down into one of the cylinders. Couldn't reach anything sticking my fingers down the intakes, so trying to take the cover off the heads to look inside. Undid all the screws thougha and it doesn't seem to come off as I'd expect. Is there some sort of trick to this? Mind you other than technical aptitude, I have zero experience with going any further than my carb. Any ideas are appreciated...

Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a small flexible magnetic tip pick up tool, may be able to snag the screw with that, and pull it out. if you have any small magnets, try taping one to a screw driver and fish around with that.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

I have had some luck taping a small magnet to a metal hanger...you can bend to what ever angle you need.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Spend the money (it's really not much) and get the correct tool....if you don't attach the magnet to the coathanger well enough, you will end up with the magnet inside the cylinder too. Harbor Freight (or equivalent tool supply company) sells a magnetic pickup, as well as a dental mirror so you can take a look (use a small flashlight too)

If all else fails, turn the quad upside down, but be advised that it might fall up into the valve train if you do

Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Ask around if someone has one of those small camera deals like for working on cars they could look right inside to make sure so you don't ruin your motor.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TexasRoadlawyer
Spend the money (it's really not much) and get the correct tool....if you don't attach the magnet to the coathanger well enough, you will end up with the magnet inside the cylinder too. Harbor Freight (or equivalent tool supply company) sells a magnetic pickup, as well as a dental mirror so you can take a look (use a small flashlight too)

If all else fails, turn the quad upside down, but be advised that it might fall up into the valve train if you do

I'll second that!

Old 04-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a magnetic tool and tried that...no luck. bought a camera tool to try to look down the intakes...no luck. Running out of ideas other than taking the engine apart, which seems like an immense task as it's wedged in the frame.

Has anyone removed the heads/pistons in an ac650v2 that can provide some insight? Looks like I'd have to completely disassemble the atv and engine just to have the room to pull them off???