Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

98 BearCat 454 Water Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 BearCat 454 Water Pump Problem

So the little drain between the seals is leaking. I order the seals, and new impeller and read the book on this "fun" repair. Project seem a pain but straight forward. However... anybody run into this problem?

I get the bolt (washer and seal) out of the impeller "freeing" it from the shaft. But the impeller wont budge. I try a little nudge with a screw driver, nothing. The fingers on my small wheel/gear puller are too big (on .150) to get behind the impeller to pull it off.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 98 BearCat 454 Water Pump Problem

Originally Posted by NH-ATV
So the little drain between the seals is leaking. I order the seals, and new impeller and read the book on this "fun" repair. Project seem a pain but straight forward. However... anybody run into this problem?

I get the bolt (washer and seal) out of the impeller "freeing" it from the shaft. But the impeller wont budge. I try a little nudge with a screw driver, nothing. The fingers on my small wheel/gear puller are too big (on .150) to get behind the impeller to pull it off.

Any suggestions?
I have a special puller that i bought when i was running my Small Engine Repair Shop , i don't remember whom i purchased it from , auto repair store or from my parts distributor , but it has 1/4 " leg's to get into tight spot's ; if you haven't gotten the impeller off yet you can take it to your local Small Engine Repair Shop / Lawn And Garden they should be able to get it off without damaging the impeller shaft ( Be very careful pulling impeller ) my cousin broke the shaft on his 1989 Kawasaki Mohave 250 trying to remove his !

He chewed up 3 gear's in his tranny and tried doing the repair himself , by the time he brought it to me i had to tap and rethread the shaft ; hope this is of some help to you .

williebee...........